South West - Ride - Sunday 2nd October - Haldon, but not...

tiboltrider

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
South West - Retro Ride - Sunday 2nd October - Haldon (Exeter, Devon) but not actually at Haldon :LOL:

Jimbo-xc has offered to lead an October ride on Sunday 2nd!!!

It's roughly a 2.5 hour loop from the cafe @ top of Telegraph Hill down St Andrews Lane & out as far as Cofton. Should be :cool:

I'm sure Jimbo-xc will be along in a bit to add a bit more detail :D

Also of interest to SW'ers is this >>>

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=163049

:D

2.5 hours - get on with you!
It's only a 20 minute ride from the top of Telegraph down to Cockwood.

:p

2.5 hours minimum!

My route is at least 2.5 hours, probably 3 if we take it easy! I think I can show even the locals a few bits of tasty trail that you didn't know about - with just short road sections to link.
Did a bit of cutting back on 2 lanes yesterday & hope to do another one today & go & see the cafe people about using their car park.
If tomorrow a.m. is fine I'm riding the route with a few of my (non-retro) Saturday group. (8.45 start either in the cafe carpark or the nearby layby.) Might take the rigid Lava Dome - I reckon it's fne for rigid, nothing very rocky or super-steep. 2nd half has to climb back up from sea level but we gain height gradually over 3 long lanes so not severe (but then I like climbing) but bring a drink!
Will update again later.

cafe - sorted

Went into Haldon Grill ("the grill on the hill") yesterday & they're fine about us using their car park but want us in the far corner please & double parked if there are loads of us.
However, their hours on Sundays are 9 till 2 so I suggest we bring the ride start time forward to 10.00 sharp. We should then be back with an hour of cafe time left & I must say the goodies & fry-ups on offer yesterday looked great (and cheap) - but then I was pretty soaked after clearing the top of Oakpark Lane of brambles, blackthorn, hawthorn, gorse, briar, holly & nettles for 90 mins in the rain! Good job I took the trail bike & had plenty of protective gear on.
Perhaps do the jumble after refreshments. I've got loads & just picked up a large blue Saracen Tufftrax with c.1991 LX kit on from the recycling centre - who wants the frame?

Shotgun the frame! Is it internal routing in top tube? And blue?

I will bring some bits along as well, ride - eat - trade sounds awesome.

Can you send me a pic of the saracen?!

Back