Another cro-mega t' add t' mix...

Been a while since I revisited my build thread - I'm afraid I don't have the patience to turn out something as slick as Marks... :oops:

As I also have a habit of having more than one project on the go at the same time I tend to flit between them as first one then another takes priority in my imagination!

My 853 Explosif has stalled because first; I couldn't make up my mind which fork to put on it; then a bargain Mavic wheelset came up on here I just had to have; THEN I bought some Z1 Bams because the frame has an add-on rear disk mount; NOW I've bought a stonking Grimeca disk kit - to go on the Z1's - depending which bike I fit them to?

AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! :shock:

After that my e-stay project developed a life of its own and DID just need cabling, until I came by a mint Logic crankset that I want to strip the black ano off the big ring before fitting but haven't got round to yet;

Then my Kili project got off the ground because the decals are the same('ish) as my e-stay and I wanted to see what they looked like in place, then I wanted to see what the tyres would look like, then the seatpost arrived so I tried the Flite for good measure...

...and as that's the bike that's hogging the workstand at the mo it'll probably be finished next!

But I digress! :roll:

After collecting a few bits'n'bobs for HC's ex cro-mega...

P1040115.jpg

P1040117.jpg

P1040118.jpg

It now looked less like this...

P8180015-LX.jpg

(Resto '91 cro-mega spec.)

...and more like this...

P1040120.jpg

(150mm Zoom stem; LX chain/crankset; FliteMax seat on silver cro-mega post - and V's!)

...before morphing into THIS...

P1040207.jpg

(160mm stem; stainless chainset/LX cranks; Zoom seatpost and canti's - and not forgetting the neon mudguards of course!)

...which I can confidently say is THE definitive final build :cool:

En route to a suitably rural location...

P1040205.jpg

...where I took this...

P1040215.jpg

...plus the obligatory close-up shot ;) ...

P1040214.jpg

BITD I had a pearl-white Falcon with neon-green cable outers and neon-pink mudguards so when the identical mudguards in neon-green came up on eBay I couldn't resist the temptation! :LOL:

They may not be to many peoples' taste but they are a very period correct accessory and I like 'em (...as in "I liked them BITD so why shouldn't I now?") and it makes my cro-mega more 'individual.'

The biggest expense after the initial purchase of the bike from HC has been the chainrings; they are all stainless steel - the mid and outer are current items from Surly and the granny is a NOS Onza Buzzsaw; a tad self-indulgent (and not a little expensive!) but they are VERY shiny... :D

I was a bit stuck for a front canti-hanger (they all tend to flex too much for my liking) after dumping the V's until I remembered that one of the manufacturers BITD fitted a bellcrank-style booster for their canti's (can't remember which though?) - I'd seen a NOS set on eBay some time ago but luckily SJS stock the modern Tektro equivalent...

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tektro-tektr ... prod14032/

...so a couple were duly purchased. It makes for a very neat set-up and the canti's performance is phenomenol compared to the usual hanger and straddle cable.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the way this bike has turned out; I'll most likely change the tyres for something slightly less rad than the Panaracers it's wearing at the moment, but other than that it's just about finished.

I say 'just about...' because I've just remembered I have an LX front mech. to replace the Exage 500LX that's currently doing the job...

...and there was I thinking this was finally done :roll:

BTW; despite my earlier assertions to the contrary I have now fitted a snazzy pair of yellow Ritchey spuds (cheers Senick :cool: ) and if you think that stem looks long it's not an optical illusion - it really is a 160mm reach!

(Short legs, long back, long arms - remember? Yes Esmerelda, the bells are giving me an awful headache too dear. Hump? What hump?) :LOL:

so your colour blind then ?

:LOL:

sorry ,not keen on the yellow cantis , but in the flesh against the neon pink
i imagine it looks good

That's really nice and one of the best write-up's in a long time here. Those itsy-bitsy mudguards do look a bit dirty though, like stamp -sized bikinis or something.. :LOL:

I wanted to fit canti's to be more 'period correct' and when I saw these yellow ones listed just had to have them - the yellow Maguras look the part so I thought 'go for it.'

Make a change from black or silver anyway...

The mudguards are just 'so' early '90s I had to have those too - brightens up an otherwise subtle paint scheme no? :LOL:

D*mn! Just realised I'd forgotten something else...

CBUnIWg2kKGrHqUOKi0EzVqkbbLBNHKwJBS0w_12.jpg

...NOS 1 1/4" XT headset to fit - lurking in a box somewhere in the depths of my shed! :roll:

Might as well fit the d*mn thing when I find it cos I've a 1 1/4" CK for my other cro-mega - when I finally get round to it (well actually, when I get around to taking the Stumpy frame to the powder coaters' for its 'purply-pink' make-over and ask if he can do the paint I want?)...

Latest posts

Back