boy"O"boy's Alpinestars AL-Mega DX

boy"O"boy

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all. :D

Purchased from GT-Steve as a frame and fork sometime ago :oops: - Progress on my Alpinestars AL -Mega DX has been painfully slow.
The frame and fork had been painted in a green airbrush fade that I could only describe as an 'A-Level design project'.

First thing was to hand strip the paint using nitromors to reveal the condition of the frame and fork. At some point in it's life, there had been a small lengthways fracture in the top tube that had been repaired.
Unfortunately, to get to the bare metal, they'd taken an angle grinder to a localised area and had ground several flat spots on the tube. This would have thinned the wall thickness in this area. :cry:

The rest of the frame was sound and straight though so I decided to continue with a full 'original spec' resto, although when finished it would be a garage queen rather than a 'rider' like my previous Aluminium Orange projects.
Next up was a full sand blast of the frame and forks followed by an etch primer. The damaged area had a filler repair then frame, forks and stem were given a coat of pearlescent white ( the same as the Iosis X showcar! )

Using Sinnett177's Cro- Mega resto as a guide to colour break-up, on went the Flurorescent yellow bands. 3 cans of Halfords safety yellow went into achieving the depth of colour. When applied, this came out as a 'powedery' finish that had to have a 'clearcoat' to be able to handle the frame.

Achieving the correct colour break-up for the 'ripped' dividers has been the hold up on my project. In the end, I chose to opt for Flurescent pink vinyl cut and hand picked out the black bits from an identical cut and applied them to the pink. A very labour intensive choice that I would not want to repeat again! :evil:

Thanks to GT-Steve for the frame to start with and the 'kick up the arse' to get it anywhere near completion!!

Getting it ready for the neon special BOTM seems like a massive task at the moment. Wish me luck!! :D

Here's some start off and progress pics!

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• in-progress2.jpg
    in-progress2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 9,560
  • 101_0937_1024x768_208.jpg
    101_0937_1024x768_208.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 9,561
  • starting_off2_201.jpg
    starting_off2_201.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 9,559
  • starting_off_950.jpg
    starting_off_950.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 9,556
More pics....

Attachments

• in-progress5.jpg
    in-progress5.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 9,560
  • in-progress4.jpg
    in-progress4.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 9,555
  • in-progress3.jpg
    in-progress3.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 9,554
  • in-progress2B.jpg
    in-progress2B.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 9,554
al mega

striking paintwork! you may have enough time for the botm.

the choice of stem couldn't be more suitable. i would be happy with this progress. good work.

glass of wine to steady your hand ;)

keep it coming. :cool:

Re: al mega

marc two tone":27vqusbb said:
striking paintwork! you may have enough time for the botm.

Ok. I lied. :oops:

Finished the bike late last night. Studio pics today. :cool:

A massive thankyou to
- GT- Steve for the frame and 'kick up the arse'.
- Sinnett177 for the inspiration/ how to guide/ graphics templates.
- Brocklanders23 for the extra neon.
- All those who have helped with parts for the build. :cool:

Enjoy.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Alpinestars-pic2.jpg
    Alpinestars-pic2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 9,526
  • Alpinestars-pic1.jpg
    Alpinestars-pic1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 9,525
  • Alpinestars-pic3.jpg
    Alpinestars-pic3.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 9,531
  • Alpinestars-pic4.jpg
    Alpinestars-pic4.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 9,528
Wow

Stunning absolutely stunning!
Give us a parts breakdown though!

TC

Ben, that's an amazing job you've done there, doesn't even look recognisable as the same F+F

Fantastic job... :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

"purchased some time ago" - understatement of the forum.. :LOL:

Back