Best cable operated disc brakes?

I reckon the cable versions are great, and well suited to touring or low maintenance.

Hydro are good too, but too much extra crap to carry if you are not needing the power.

Personally I think most people over estimate their requirements.

:)

Can anyone tell me accurately, the weight of a set of brake cables vs a set of hydraulic hoses?

Yes, I have a decent set of scales. Send me the items you need weighing.

The difference is so little it really isn't the issue, or shouldn't be.

Ultimately it is about the fettling issue, and survivability.

BB7's are the best I've used... Have them on two bikes, will be three shortly.

Kooka's (same as Gusst Chute), which are powerful but a bit fiddly and I find you have to set them up with more gap than the BB7's, meaning you have to pull more cable to get decent braking out of them. Definately feel a bit more budget.

Funn ECX's which are nice and powerful, have a quick cable pull (so quite sharp which I like) but no adjustability other than moving the caliper on the mount which is a pita when setting up.

Personally I like the fact you can run mechanical disc cables through standard cable stops and very easy to maintain the same as any canti's / V's without to much messing with hydraulics.

BB7's all the way.

i have them on 2 of my bikes, the mountain and road versions, only difference is colors (silver-road, grey/black-mountain)

if you come of your bike and bars spin round, with hydraulics the hose may split, then you have no brake, with cable it stretches so all you do is re-tension the cable and away you go.

Back