Do you have to face a bottom bracket shell for hollowtech

In my own shop and the last shop I worked at, BB facing is an FOC part of fitting a new BB.

It saves hassle in the long run, particularly on road BBs without the plastic spacers. Last place we worked we had serveral warranty claims on BBs on bikes that were supplied without faced BBs. When we started facing the BBs prior to sale, the problem stopped.

It takes under 5 minutes to do and means that manufacturer can't come back and say a problem was due to incorrect fitting.

Charging £45 for it (assuming it's not including removal of old BB etc etc) then I'd agree it's a bit of a racket.

I have fitted two without having it done, simply as I was not aware of the porcess.

one bike, not mine, is a daily commuter and the crank flops around due to total lack of mechanical sympathy and riding until parts actually snap rahter than do any preventative mainenance. :evil:

and ther is mine, still running well but this is my Sunday best bke and has problaby done les than 222 miles so early days yet.

I've not done it on the up'teen frames I've had over the last few years. However, I've done a few in the shop for customers. I can see the logic in getting it done, and would recommend it for the sake of a few quid, but haven't bothered myself.

Wouldn't pedaling forces exert more uneven loads on the bearings than an unfaced bb shell???

I've only bothered when I've had frames powdercoated, and the paint's been thick and uneven on the bb face. Most factory finished frames are good enough as they are.

I always face with HTII. Experienced plenty of our club members with creaky, squeaky BBs due to not facing. Also had plenty ( like above replies ) with no trouble at all. I'm a bit spoilt as I take our riders' bikes down to LBS with packet of choccy Hobnobs on a quiet weekday and use the facing tool in their workshop.

Reluctant":11higdp6 said:
I've only bothered when I've had frames powdercoated, and the paint's been thick and uneven on the bb face. Most factory finished frames are good enough as they are.

First up - I am not picking a fight, just interested :D

How do you know they were good ? Visual or measurement ?

Cheers,

WD :D

Back