The no name Chinese carbon road bike (modern content)

otherself

GT Fan
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
Not retro but where else could a road bike be posted??? :?

Though I have owned - and enjoyed greatly - only retro steel road bikes over the years it was time to get an entirely new machine for the 21st century! I always had the itch for owning a lightweight full carbon roadster I could race before I get too old (33 this month), but didn't want to risk splashing out thousands of pounds. Enter the joys of international ebay.

The frame, fork, seatpost and internal headset came from China via an ebay seller: http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/carbon_bicycle Cost £210. Wasn't knowing what to expect but I was very pleased with the quality of finisihing for this money. A lot of the components I already owned, so costs were remarkably quite low for this build. I also deviated from my normal all-Shimano alliance and decided to try out Taiwanese minnows 'Microshift' for the STI levers, rear and front mechs because they seemed great value and looked nice.

Chainset is Shimano Ultegra 6600. Brakes are Tektro Quartz r740. Wheels are Planet X Model C. 10spd Cassette, seatclamp and saddle are by BBB components. Stem is a PRO XLT standard 26.0mm and handlebars are Deda 215. It's by the far the lightest bike I own at 7.5kg (16.5lbs).

Frame was sold as unbranded but I have since found the model is produced under the "FLY" brand: http://flyxii.com

5734646592_52606a382e_z.jpg

5734652908_06fc3867d5_z.jpg

5734666048_9bce6f3562_z.jpg

5734656950_db0d5764cc_z.jpg

5734667700_f28603f55b_z.jpg

5734674376_e5172d7761_z.jpg

6107114835_a904027a3b_z.jpg

6107115301_b5539cc133_z.jpg

6107116043_bb30e04372_z.jpg

6107663582_c552de2dc1_z.jpg

6107663954_3c82c0054f_z.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Seeing more and more of these no name chinese frames around, be interesting to see how they hold up in the long run...

I've often see these carbon frames on ebay and wondered what they were like, now I've seen your build I'm highly tempted to go for one. Did you encounter any problems at all either in shipping, packaging, or the quality & finish from the frame? (in the pics it looks stunning :D ).

Fake Carbon Bikes

You can buy a 'fake' Pinarrello Dogma for £500 compared with the £3000 for a genuine one.
Seems there are some concerns with quality of the front forks, and fibre glass being used instead of carbon to cut costs !!!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Carbon-F ... 68c823c64c

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
jimo746":1085lj7e said:
I've often see these carbon frames on ebay and wondered what they were like, now I've seen your build I'm highly tempted to go for one. Did you encounter any problems at all either in shipping, packaging, or the quality & finish from the frame? (in the pics it looks stunning :D ).

No problems at all and shipping was a swift 10 days.

Re: Fake Carbon Bikes

orbeas":ratxpv7w said:
You can buy a 'fake' Pinarrello Dogma for £500 compared with the £3000 for a genuine one.
Seems there are some concerns with quality of the front forks, and fibre glass being used instead of carbon to cut costs !!!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Carbon-F ... 68c823c64c

well you can get one hell of a set of forks for £2,500 i'd imagine.

Carbon frames

I bought just a frame as have a pair of brand new forks £169 plus carriage and import...

I know a couple of lads with various Chinese frames and they're all holding up fine. I get a feeling some of the horror stories are put out there by distributors...

Broady":2zgve180 said:
I know a couple of lads with various Chinese frames and they're all holding up fine. I get a feeling some of the horror stories are put out there by distributors...

You might like to think that but I couldn't possibly comment......................

Back