Best cable operated disc brakes?

dbmtb":3dk5kw7q said:
But why would you want cables when hydraulics are so much better?

...near zero maintenance, light weight, supreme modulation, and no need to rebleed during an installation if the cables are run "through" the frame and cable stops as opposed to "zip-tied/attached"?

hova":36cn6htq said:
dbmtb":36cn6htq said:
But why would you want cables when hydraulics are so much better?

...near zero maintenance, light weight, supreme modulation, and no need to rebleed during an installation if the cables are run "through" the frame and cable stops as opposed to "zip-tied/attached"?

One of the reasons I am looking for cable disc brakes for the STS build (should it ever get off the ground)

Interested in BB7's ...

How do they compare (weight wise) to a v brake set up ?

Whats a good disk size for xc use ?

Cheers,

WD :D

WD Pro":266xds32 said:
Interested in BB7's ...

How do they compare (weight wise) to a v brake set up ?

Whats a good disk size for xc use ?

Cheers,

By nature, as there is also a disc involved... I'd say heavier than a lightweight v-brake setup, but lighter than most hydraulic systems. I believe a caliper weighs around 150g and a rotor weighs... well, there's a lot of variation there so you can include whatever rotors you'd like into the mix.

For XC, I tend to use 160 front, 160 rear... have used 140 rear but hard to find cool looking rotors in 140! :LOL:

I have BB7s on four of my bikes and they are really really really great... they don't stop and launch you over the bars like some hydraulic systems - rather, I'd say that they are suuuuuper progressive and have amazing feel. More for "scrubbing off" speed unless you really give them a proper squeeze (at which point you've stopped dead in your tracks). I have them mated to all sorts of levers, from cheapo tektro levers to avid ultimates - and really, they feel great with all of them. I can't recommend them enough!!

I've got BB7s on my singlespeed, 180 front and 160 rear. Can't recomend them highly enough. Low maintenance, powerful, easy to set up and most importantly, cheap! :LOL:

avid BB7, awesome.

easy to adjust, simple and they work.

had them on my jeff jones and salsa mukluk, think my pugsley thats coming has them on too.

no need to rebleed during an installation if the cables are run "through" the frame and cable stops as opposed to "zip-tied/attached"?

There's no need to do that with hydraulics if you're careful. Although since most frames don't have suitable closed guides it's a bit moot :)

I use a BB7 on a bike that only has a disc at the front so I can have matching brake levers.

WD Pro":20xspuf0 said:
I think On Ones current prices are OK ... :D

On One's prices are pretty good yes - cheapest i have seen. But thats still caliper only, add in levers too and your pretty much in hydro territory even in spite of the fact that some claim bb7 is better.

Back