Saracen Trekker '88.

I had some problems with gears, it turns out the middle ring is worn and the chain was skipping when I applied my immense power!

So I am going to make some modifications now which will make it less original but more usable.

Also I have a charity bike ride next saturday (road) so I am going to modify the bike for that, watch this space............purists look away!

Somehow missed your thread until now and I've just read right through it.

You've done a fantastic job on that, it looks like new in the pics.

Thank you! I am very pleased with it. Not quite the same as the trekker I had in '89 but a good replica for now.

I think the pictures above show it in pretty much original spec, (ignore the change to 7 speed) but the saddle is newer and maybe a couple of other bits.

It is now going to get some changes because I want to use it a bit more, then at a later date I can change it all back to original if I want to. We'll see, still not totally sure what to do with it, still looking for an 19 inch version!

Just as a reminder (from the saracen lovers thread) here is the picture of my '89 Trekker XT limited edition. I gues it was made up from left over frames and sold due to adddition of all XT components. This was officially the best (most versatile) bike I ever owned!!

Attachments

• bike 1 small.jpg
    bike 1 small.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 801
  • bike 2 small.jpg
    bike 2 small.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 801
Note the Scott AT4 bars for future reference!!

In 1990 I had already bought this trekker but was away in Alaska for three months bagging some first ascents in the foolishness of my youth!

Anyway we called in at a sports shop somewhere, probably Anchorage, and I spotted these handle bars in the bike section. I had never seen anything like them before so I bought them, nearly $100 I remember! I had to leave the packaging because I had very limited luggage space. I never saw another set in the UK except for a kiwi guy I met who was travelling the world on a bike with AT4's on it. My treker (and bars) was stolen in 1991 I think.

Anyway, thanks to GT Steve I now have another pair of Scott AT4s (in the box with $89 price tag on) and I thin they are going to get aired on this bike at the weekend.

So so cool. Looking good now it's rebuilt. :cool:

Here's mine and my friend Tom's in 1988.

:LOL:

Attachments

• trekker2_132.jpg
    trekker2_132.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 773
  • trekker1_996.jpg
    trekker1_996.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 771
Yes, I remember seeing those pictures on the saracen lovers thread. Great pair of bikes, in 19inch as well!!!! What happend to them I wonder, stolen?

That really is superb, The hard work has paid off with terrific results :cool:

Be one for Leckhampton hill? :D

Trekkies!

Ah splendid...great to see this, and also those vintage pics also. :cool:

My Dad & I started out on Christmas day 1988 on the first of many mtb.adventures on these excellent, excellent bikes!... :D

FYI there's a review of the bike in MBUK Vol 1. No. 3
(Overburys v. Saracen v. Scott)

daj":31pau1ps said:
That really is superb, The hard work has paid off with terrific results :cool:

Be one for Leckhampton hill? :D

Might be scary for some of the drop offs, you know the one I mean :eek:

Back