Vittorio Strada randonneur

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Maybe you remember this one >>> the Vittorio that wun the rBOTM a couple months ago

I plan to do short bicycle journeys and as Vittorio is famous for their great randonneurs that have been everywhere on the globe, I started looking for one ...and I found. Another Strada, but this time one with randonneur ambitions >>

5969704574_c2aac8540d_b.jpg

For me it is the first time I see a Strada in this configuration. Normally the Strada is the pro level roadbike, while the Randonneur is Vittorio's offering for randonneuring. The average Randonneur is more heavy duty than this Strada however. A Randonneur I have owned in the past even had three sets of stays for superior torsional rigidity, also under heavy load. Possibly the focus on light weight and speed made builder Jan Groot decide to give this brown/gold example the denotion Strada.

The stays connect to both toptube and seattube. The frame is ready for fenders and racks. I won't opt for fenders with my build. I would like to keep it as close to a roadbike as possible.

After the photoshoot the bike was disassembled. The frame weighs about as much as a regular full 531 butted frame. Currently I am halfway with the build. I am undecided on what rack to use. Could be a Tubus, but I have also a Bruce Gorden laying around of which I am not sure yet whether it will fit. Vittorio built there own racks too untill recently, but they discontinued the small series production. People are no longer willing to pay the strong money for them (environmental regulations don't help too), while alternatives aren't as bad as they were.

Like with my other Vittorio I find under the bracket the year (81) and the full name of the initial owner.

Hi Dutchie,

I didn't do anything. This is how I got it. Thanks for the link :) The former owner fitted the drops with levers right before I acquired it. For me it will be regular road levers however. Undecided on aero or not. Ultegra do have very nice ergonomics. Hmm :roll:

My levers have a plastic covering btw, unlike the levers in the pic. Possibly the later lost theirs?

Elev12k":6u5qjkj7 said:
Hi Dutchie,

I didn't do anything. This is how I got it. Thanks for the link :)

My levers have a plastic covering btw, unlike the levers in the pic. Possibly the later lost theirs?
Pleasure. If mounted the right way I am sure it is one for the RBoTM. My vote it already can count on.

O sorry, I did not read right. You are going to chance the levers. For better use OK. For the ''picture'' the Guidonet (what a nice French word) is quite old fashioned but nice. Probably the resin ones are from a later date indeed.

A couple more pics halfway build >>>

6103473815_e86d6405b6_b.jpg

6104021480_46c93d6a8a_b.jpg

Hand made and prepared Jan Groot Alkmaar >>

6103467153_53de28a2fe_z.jpg

Neatly prepared lugs with multiple cut outs >>

6103471967_dbc50d0698_z.jpg

I've chosen for early Dura-Ace brake levers. The hoods are new canecreeks and they fit very well. The bar I opted for allows many hand positions, but -more importantly- also offers place for accessoires like light or navigation. The stem is a 100mm Nitto Technomic Deluxe from Hubjub >>

6104017824_0af2dae7f3_z.jpg

The Vittorio has Campagnolo's Portacatena feature >>

6104024116_b930d52287_z.jpg
6103476365_dec3b892e8_z.jpg

When you lift the second little lever you can shift the chain onto the plate next to the cassette. The chain will be tensioned than with wheels out. Helpfull with transport.

Today I connected the cables, I fitted chain, pedals and I set seat, bars, levers in the right position. Ready for a fast maiden ride! Okay, so how does it behave? It rides a like a fine quality roadbike, but with generously more stopping power than ussual. The Strada is agile and offers a surprisingly high level of comfort.

Work to do: fitting of bar tape, rack and than the Vittorio is finished.

Yet another very interesting bike in pristine condition, fantastic.

Love the detail of the frame and the chain disc thing,have never encoutered that before. The bars look very Lemond 90, or were those scott bars a reincarnation of a a previous suggestion.

Which racks are you going to mount? If you're still looking for a pair, the Blackburns are still on sale and fit in with the period of the bike.

Back