Anyone doing any running/duathlon's over the coming months?

Training's not going well, think I've just knackered my knee. Tore a ligament a year ago when I ramped up my running and think I may have done the same thing again. Sitting here with leg elevated and in a compression bandage, felling pretty sorry for myself. Love running but my knee's seem not to :cry:

That's the problem with running. You are either injured, recovering from an injury, or about to get injured.

I might be tempted to run another marathon next year though.

It's very frustrating! I had a similar injury last year, but have been fine since. I've got very little patience to wait until being recovered, so just end up setting my self back by training too early. Going to see a sports physio and see if I can get any more help that simply being told to take ibuprofen and rest.

Sports physios are usually a great help if you run alot. But with a torn ligament I can't see that they will be able to suggest much more than rest and Ibuprofen.

It may be worth doing a hot and cold contrast treatment a couple of times a day to speed up your recovery though.
Always start with ice first!
There's a bit of info here: --> http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hcbaths.htm

Thanks for the info, will have a good read over it.

Been to the docs today and he says I'm wearing the ligament between the bones. His suggestion, try another sport and prescribed some pain killers. Mention taking cod liver tablets and he said it was like your car needing oil and pouring it on the roof rather than putting it in the engine.

How hum :(

Well it's a month now since last run and less than two weeks until the Cumbrian Run!

Still getting niggling pains in my knee, especially when trying to run but also when going down hill on the bike.

Booked an appointment with a sports physio on Wed. Fingers crossed he can help sort things out.

Still planning on doing the half marathon but at the moment it looks like it'll be with a strapped up knee and full of ibuprofen. That'll be the SWAT principal...

...Stop Wingeing And Train!

Looks good that event. Bit of a trek for me though. I like the idea of a Duathlon, the running to bike transition isn't too bad.

Had a great session at the sports physio last week. He tested my knee through various movements and came to the conclusion that the doc was wrong in his diagnostic and that I have 'runners knee' (Ilio Tibial Band Friction Syndrome) instead. This makes sense as the pain is down the outside edge of my knee where the ITB cross my knee.

After an hour of deep tissue massage and stretching my knee's feeling better and it's good to know what I've done and what I can do to prevent future niggles. Less than a week til the 1/2 marathon!

Back