New Project 27inch 1980's rebuild (NOW FINISHED)

Retroman666

Dirt Disciple
Following on from my last 1991 Specialized Hardrock restoration http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=163607 I opted for a new challenge

This time a circa 1980's "classic" touring cycle 27inch wheeler, I know its a non descript bike in fact I know, I know very little about it, but it belonged to my Wife when she was kid and therefore worth giving a go.

What initially looked like huge challenge has actually turned out not to bad during the strip down stage, only problems were with the crank arm cotter pins (need new ones) and the aluminium quill "welded" in to the steerer, a big bashing and applying boiling then freezing water helped the stem contract and break its 30 year bond (26 years since this bike last saw daylight) again a new stem is now required.
new tyres & tubes ordered, mudguards and old lamp kit stripped off and thrown away. now just giving deep consideration as to if to try and save the wheels or try and find a new set? also looking forward to lots & lots of metal polishing....:)

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 1,759
  • before1.jpg
    before1.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 1,759
‎3.5 hours of sweat & tears and an Epic fight with two cotter pins and a seized Alloy Quill stem and now the frame is fully stripped and almost ready for paint prep

Attachments

• during1.jpg
    during1.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,755
  • during2.jpg
    during2.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,755
  • during3.jpg
    during3.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 1,755
  • during4.jpg
    during4.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,755
The frame all stripped, cleaned and nearly ready to get paint prep
Just hours & hours of polishing, cleaning & lubing metal parts now along with a repaint after which the rebuild begins..

Attachments

• strippedFrame.jpg
    strippedFrame.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,754
Watching this one - I did a similar thing with a Dawes Galaxy earlier this year, and it cost me a small fortune!

Budget is small on cash big on hard work, so far a pair of Schwalbe 27 inch amber walls have been had for £10, new cotter pins £3.00 and a Quill stem £12 add another £30 for cables/nuts/bolts/paint & grease plus a set of brake blocks & bar tape and possibly another £40 for wheels if these don't clean up and should just about be it?

(although I might be entitled to shares from the makers of wire wool by the time I'm finished)

Those rims look a bit past it, but if they're straight with no dents (and you don't mind the crusty look) they will brake ok with a set of old style brake blocks. I keep my eye out on eBay for chrome rims in good condition, but they don't turn up very often. Like you say, if you're desperate, a pair of new alloy ones is about £40. There is a seller on there doing polished alloy ones if you don't want the satin anodised look.

Jonny69":e9t2iz5c said:
Those rims look a bit past it, but if they're straight with no dents (and you don't mind the crusty look) they will brake ok with a set of old style brake blocks. I keep my eye out on eBay for chrome rims in good condition, but they don't turn up very often. Like you say, if you're desperate, a pair of new alloy ones is about £40. There is a seller on there doing polished alloy ones if you don't want the satin anodised look.

Thanks for the advice, as far as I can see there is very little pitting and the rust is just surface rust, I will test a section of the front wheel with chemical rust remover, metal polish and elbow grease, depending on the result, it's either new wheels or strip the wheel down to the bare rim and carry on treating these to some loving care and attention, along with a good dose of wire wool.....more pics to come once the frame is painted, as new parts arrive & the old metal bits get a spit & polish....

so one to the metal work, gave it all a good thorough clean, probably shaved half a pound of weight in old grease & yuk alone, next job before painting the frame will be a polish of the detailers and brakes to bring them up all nice and shiny

Attachments

• CIMG0716.JPG
    CIMG0716.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,646
  • CIMG0717.JPG
    CIMG0717.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,646
  • CIMG0731.JPG
    CIMG0731.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,646
  • CIMG0718.JPG
    CIMG0718.JPG