Claud Butler CBX Vantage

Nice of CB to sort you out with a mech adapter, I didn't do anything with my Magna frame as the whole dropout had broken off, I think the trail fairies took it as I never did find it where I crashed :(

jimo746":16m3hk4z said:
Nice of CB to sort you out with a mech adapter, I didn't do anything with my Magna frame as the whole dropout had broken off, I think the trail fairies took it as I never did find it where I crashed :(

Yeah I was very grateful for the trouble they clearly went to - this was back in the early 90's. They put the touch up paint into one of those plastic 35mm film container / pot things. I've still got the drill and the tap!

The instructions they sent included a diagram showing where to cut off the damaged Gear Hanger, and what filing was required.

I remember being really nervous about taking a Hacksaw to my precious frame. I kept the old piece - goodness knows why.

Attachments

• CB Hanger.jpg
    CB Hanger.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2,862
BobCatMax":2431pa43 said:
pipmeister":2431pa43 said:
I contacted Claud Butler in Brigg, and free of charge they sent me some instructions with a gear hanger, a 3.5mm drill, a 4mm tap, some M4 C/S stainless fixings and some touch-up paint - which was sweet of them.

That's very cool. much respect :cool:

That is amazing and extremely cool as Claude Butler are basically Falcon now!

The LX mech looks OK well done for getting it all back together! And nice one for updating with the happier outcome

Claud Butler & Falcon cycles fall under the same parent company (as do a few other brands less worthy of note) Still based in Brigg, although manufacturing stopped there some time ago IIRC

Claud Butler have a very good customer service team (they didn't ply our shop's staff with curry and beer.. honest!) and it does not surprise me how they helped you out at all

I also had a Claud Butler Vantage, great bikes. Shame some scrote nicked it :evil:

Claud Butler Vantage

I got my Claud Butler Vantage on 4th March 1993 as my 16th birthday present!! I believe it cost £459.99.
It was stolen 2 months later and replaced by an identical one, under house insurance. I still have it, it's still great to ride and in great condition.
I've taken it apart, cleaned it and reassembled it nearly ever year. Just the rear gear changer sticks a little sometimes. (Shimano Altus C10)

I hope this is of interest, any questions about it welcome.
James

Hello James and welcome to the forum.

I think that when you have accumulated a certain number of postings, you will be able to add an attachment of your Claud Butler, which we would all like to see ;)

Mine was still fitted with Shimano Altus C10 shifters when I bought it second hand in the early 90's.

Pip.

Great Memories. Had the exact same colour as my first real mtb. Also had the dropout go on me, and CB sorted me out with it. Happened again though loads of times and they sorted me out with a new frame. Shiny Blue with th replaceable hanger. Have a pic of me doing an endo on the original one somewhere. Will have to root it out.

Latest posts

Back