Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Good work!!

And, I think mine is finished too!

More pictures on the rebuild thread below.

Attachments

• f.jpg
    f.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,510
Here is the latest addition to my selection of Saracens.

After waiting for one to turn up I eventually got hold of this 1997 Kili Comp frame from Dead Rats on here.

NWA-Preston-Rivington_05.jpg

It's been built up with a period correct mix of LX V-brakes, STX-RC mechs and shifters and XT M738/9 hubs with Mavic 517 and 221 rims.
The Marzocchi Bomber Z2s are also period and perform very well.

It was out on it's first test ride this weekend, which turned out to be a 40 mile epic. Details and more pictures here: --> http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161951

Anyway, the compliant wishbone rear end was a great match for the 80mm of front end travel and it rides very nicely.
It will definitely be upgraded and resprayed in time as it's a bit scruffy at the moment for a high quality 853 frame.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just a £1 Ebay 1990/1? Limited Edition.

Well 99p actually (but I generously rounded it up) for the frame, fork, headset, bars, stem, stuck seatpost, stuck bb & through the top tube brake cable outer. I did have to drive to the next county to collect it though. Seatpost came out easily, bb was another matter but heavy duty power tools eventually sorted that out.
The idea was to put whatever I had on it for my son to stick a baby seat on when he returned from Oz after 5 yrs (yesterday while I was at Bristol for the SW region Retrobike ride!)
Most parts are period but the 8 speed shifters & STX mechs are definitely not, or the seat.
I'm hoping he'll get into the retro scene now he's back as we started at the same time in 1990, him on a pink-ish Rockhopper, me on a violet 1989 Saracen Traverse.

Attachments

• P9050002.JPG
    P9050002.JPG
    283 KB · Views: 1,379
  • P9050001.JPG
    P9050001.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 1,378
Was chatting to Rupert about this at the South west meet and it reminded me to put some photos up. These are the pics from the sellers ad. Its worse in real life lol!

I think its around 1986??

KGrHqZlIE3N5SKsiBOJIJ2zrjw_3.jpg

KGrHqRlE3HZNDfBOJIK6Rl1_3.jpg

KGrHqVjcE3MByidJBOJILOlWQ_3.jpg

KGrHqVlkE3HM1W2v3BOJIJtVEc_3.jpg

KGrHqYOKo8E4iY7HLkvBOJILFHL2w_3.jpg

KGrHqZjQE3NfN1W6BOJIMmj4YQ_3.jpg

Do I remember that one on e bay? Where in the country was it? How much?

I like it, but I think you have a mammoth job on your hands!

Back