1989 Fisher CR-7 Fusion Restoration

the quality of those transfers looks brilliant.
I need some custom transfers for my next project so I will get in touch with them, cheers for posting the contact details.

It's a beautifull job you did… when I see all the story with the first pictures
Congratulations ! :cool:

Just a detail on your manitou fork : When I see the first picture, the fork is more dark. I suppose that's it's a really first manitou, made by Bradbury, not an "answer manitou". Perhaps the fork was dead.
But it would be an idea to respray the fork in the dark grey and to print the really first decals :

tomac23.jpg

Thank you very much for your positive comment and nice picture!
24pouces":1sawpyoi said:
But it would be an idea to respray the fork in the dark grey and to print the really first decals :
That is smashing idea!
Why didn't I think about it!?
Thank you!!

Help!

epic1400cs":2xjh1ivy said:
Progress is a bit slow at the moment but so far I have removed most of the parts from frame except headset and BB.
Today I have removed the BB - rather unusual (for me) sealed bearing type.
FisherCR-7-69.jpg

And these are supposed to be the replacement rubber seal bearing (6003 2RS C3) bought in ebay.
FisherCR-7-92.jpg

I was warned from some of my mentors that bolts fixing the rear triangle are pain so I decided to spend 1 week, pouring plusgas everyday to undo them without damaging those small bolts.
FisherCR-7-84.jpg

And this is my long term best friend when I work on cars - it never failed! (well, so far!)
FisherCR-7-87.jpg

Can you help me out and tell me how to get this BB out on my 1989 CR-7? I know I need to remove the circlips but I'm confused on the need to hammer the spindle (directly) out or what? Also, I'm not certain what order the BB goes back in. Did you use loctite on the BB shell? Also, why did you undo the bolts fixing the rear triangle? Sorry for the questions, but your were very meticulous on your restoration and I hope you can get back to me.

Re: Help!

Charlie32480":2gci669y said:
Can you help me out and tell me how to get this BB out on my 1989 CR-7? I know I need to remove the circlips but I'm confused on the need to hammer the spindle (directly) out or what? Also, I'm not certain what order the BB goes back in. Did you use loctite on the BB shell? Also, why did you undo the bolts fixing the rear triangle? Sorry for the questions, but your were very meticulous on your restoration and I hope you can get back to me.
Hi Charlie, thanks for your compliment.
I am not expert like other big brothers here and it was while ago but let me try.

>I'm confused on the need to hammer the spindle (directly) out or what?

When the sealed bearings are originally inserted, loctite was used on the outer surface of the bearings and glued, if you like, against the inside of the BB of the frame.
After you remove the circlip, due to the loctite, the bearings will not come out loose.
So, you need to hit the spindle from the side to push out the bearing to the opposite end (hope it makes sense)
If you reuse the spindle, please use wood or rubber hammer, or use metal hammer with wood on the spindle end to protect so that you don't damage the end and taper of it.
Obviously you need to wack in two stages to remove two bearings on each side.

>Also, I'm not certain what order the BB goes back in.

After cleaning all the parts and inside of BB shell/tube, use loctite on the outside of one of bearing.
Inset the first bearing on either side of BB.
Insert Circlip.
Insert the spindle from other side (I can't remember if loctite is needed on the spindle sorry)
Pick up second bearing, use loctite and insert into the other side of BB.
Insert the second circlip.

When inserting the circlip, need to be careful not to damage the rubber seal of the bearings.
I compromised and scratch the outer lip of BB rather than damage the bearing, then I touched up the BB lip.

>Also, why did you undo the bolts fixing the rear triangle?

This is because I needed to paint the front and rear triangle separately by powder coating.
If you don't need to paint or, you are happy with masking, then you don't need to undo the bolts.

CR-7 is great unique bike in my opinion and it is worth restoring.
I look forward to see yours very soon here. :)

Thanks Epic!

Thanks for taking the time to help a complete stranger. Between your input (and information from other forums) I think I'll be okay. I'm not doing a full blown restoration like you did, but my CR-7 is in decent shape and I'll gladly post my pics here when I have it cleaned up and tuned. You did a great job on yours. You Brits really take this stuff to the next level.

XT Front Derailleur

Epic,

Hello, I'm in the midst of my CR-7 refurbishment and all is going pretty well. I cleaned the bike up, replaced the sealed ball bearings in the BB, repainted the stem, and I cleaned/lubed both derailleurs. However, I'm having an issue re installing the front XT derailleur. Its the same one as your CR-7 (bracket and all), I tighten it onto the frame as hard as I dare, but it still rotates freely. How did you remedy that? Did you have that problem? I'm looking forward to posting my pics to show you my Fisher. Thanks in advance.

Back