1989 Fisher CR-7 Fusion Restoration

Nice job,

I bought that bike new (yes, that actual same one) from Rick at Bike UK near Kings Cross Station. I think he's still in the bike business. I got it replace an under the chanstay braked Fisher Montare, that was a nice bike too but at 18" a bit small for me.

The grey paint is very similar to the original which was a touch nearer neutral grey, yeah, sorry it was me who stripped to to bare alloy! Saddle is very close to original which had a soft cloth cover and those foam grips look like the originals.

I think I might have the original rigid fork around somewhere from that bike, it was a curved blade black painted one, of course that meant that the stem had a tube for the front brake cable in it. If not I might have an Accutrax 1 1/4 fork set-up for a very early "mountain Cycle" disc brake, new in the bag [not the brake tho, although I think I know where that is!]

I think I probably have that original steel stem in a box somewhere, it was matte black and maybe a touch shorter. One upgrade a lot of owners did was to fit an Answer 150mm stem (the one designed ion collaboration with Frank The Welder "FTW" from Yeti. I also have a new black one of those!
And some new XT thumb-shifters, I am a bit of a hoarder.

That Manitou fork has to be a bit of a collectors piece, though, as it was one of the very first batch Doug Bradbury made, I believe in his garage, I got that on a trip to visit Cambria bicycle outfitters in their original location, Cambria - the original owner Steve Wexler was a pal of Doug (and most other bike luminaries beck then in the late 80's..

Think the original rims were Araya, on my 2nd ride I hit a rock and was deflected to one side bending the front rim badly, breaking my collarbone. I sold the bike to Jez not a long time after that as I bought a Yeti FRO whilst still in a sling - but that's another story.

Well, done, good job Yasu

Attachments

• 80s Posers near the Thames barrier.jpg
    80s Posers near the Thames barrier.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 1,155
  • 80s Posers near the Thames barrier.jpg
    80s Posers near the Thames barrier.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 1,154
Thank you very much for your exciting reply!
It is great to know these detail from you as original owner of this bike.

mudfish":39tpjg6p said:
The grey paint is very similar to the original which was a touch nearer neutral grey, yeah, sorry it was me who stripped to to bare alloy! Saddle is very close to original which had a soft cloth cover and those foam grips look like the originals.

So, the original paint was also grey then!
I was feeling a bit guilty painting in different colour but now I am innocent :LOL:
No problem stripping the colour because I noticed that at that time everyone seems to do the same to show that the frame was aluminum, not steel, and indeed the polished alu frame looks very attractive (even now).
The grips were present from a member pete he knew they will match with this bike and indeed spot on!

I think I might have the original rigid fork around somewhere from that bike, it was a curved blade black painted one, of course that meant that the stem had a tube for the front brake cable in it. If not I might have an Accutrax 1 1/4 fork set-up for a very early "mountain Cycle" disc brake, new in the bag [not the brake tho, although I think I know where that is!]

Yes, the original fork is rigid steel curved black one.
If you still have the rigid fork in your arradin's cave I will be very happy to look after it next 100 years!

I think I probably have that original steel stem in a box somewhere, it was matte black and maybe a touch shorter. One upgrade a lot of owners did was to fit an Answer 150mm stem (the one designed ion collaboration with Frank The Welder "FTW" from Yeti. I also have a new black one of those!
And some new XT thumb-shifters, I am a bit of a hoarder.

The stem I have fitted this time is fisher's but I assume it is from newer CR-7, may be 91 or so.
As I am new to this I can't tell the difference very much but the vertical tube of this later type seems to be straight whereas the early type seems to have step - lower part is fat and top 1" or so is a bit thinner.
Again, if you still have it in your arradin's cave I am very happy to foster it.

Very interesting to know about the Answer stem's back stage story.
The 150mm Answer stem came with the bike (of course you have fitted it!) and it is resting in safe place at the moment.

That Manitou fork has to be a bit of a collectors piece, though, as it was one of the very first batch Doug Bradbury made, I believe in his garage, I got that on a trip to visit Cambria bicycle outfitters in their original location, Cambria - the original owner Steve Wexler was a pal of Doug (and most other bike luminaries beck then in the late 80's..

Its amazing that you have been there - may be with this bike? - and bought Manitou!
I quite like the Manitou, especially the finish were I can see how it was shaped.

Think the original rims were Araya, on my 2nd ride I hit a rock and was deflected to one side bending the front rim badly, breaking my collarbone. I sold the bike to Jez not a long time after that as I bought a Yeti FRO whilst still in a sling - but that's another story.
:shock: Hope the accident wasn't too serious!
Amazing that after such an accident the frame seem to be straight and true.

Thank you very much Neil!
If you have more old pictures with your bikes, please up load, I will be very interested!

His dirtdisciple,
get in touch by email and I'll try find those parts for you
you have my email from that message I sent, right?
neil

mudfish":lb7g3d5m said:
His dirtdisciple,
get in touch by email and I'll try find those parts for you
you have my email from that message I sent, right?
neil
Yes, thanks, I will contact you directly.

I have received enquiry regarding water slide decals I have used for this project.
Below is the contact.

Rothko and Frost (DecArt waterslide decals, vinyl transfers, custom designs, lacquers and finishing supplies)
W: rothkoandfrost.co.uk E: simon(at)rothkoandfrost.co.uk (at=@)

Simon is the guy who helped me a lot.
What he asked me was to submit the image in photoshop file (.psd) minimum 600dpi. in actual dimension.
There might be a limitation in printing size.
In my case, he recommended to split the image of the large decal into two portions or it will be difficult to apply it - I am glad I did!

In this project, the frame colour is grey and the decal is magenta and blue.
It means the decal have to be opaque otherwise the background colour (grey) will make the decal colour dull.
Simon can produce this opaque print on water slide.

Also his advice was that the frame surface where you apply the water decal have to be flat and smooth.
In this respect, using water slide on top of powder coat is not good and that was where I needed his help to sort it out.

Simon knows that I am giving out his contact so please mention that you have seen it in retrobike site then he knows what you are after.
Please be very nice to him as he is the nicest and the most helpful guy I have ever met! :cool:

DSC_6153.jpg

DSC_6397.jpg

CR 7 parts wanted

Hi
I need help. Had my CR 7 for 20 years and am having trouble locating parts in particular the rear wheel casette. I live in London if that helps. Done thousands of miles on and off road and don't want to part with it. :cool:

Back