the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

Liking that muchly. I've always been a tad skeptical about off road drops due to difficulties with getting a proper fit that works; so it's good to see that it is possible to perservere and get it right.

Stem raisers instead of riser stems?

Compliments on a very tasteful build Mr Kawasaki!!!
Earlier this evening I got rid of a alu Marin frame on account of it being to large But when I saw your 'dale I realised I could have made a similar tasty ss parts-bin-bike instead. Oh well...

Got a used 46cm Salsa Bell Lap bar with some flair from a mate last week. It's only 46cm but it's worth a try if I could only get the bars high enough.
That RANS stem look a lot like those Steve Potts make but it would probably move my bars back far to much.

Have this ugly and heavy Delta stem raiser witch ad 55-65mm but I could probably fit some spacers beneath and ad a one or two cm. So with my 40º 120mm Salsa Moto Ace stem it might work well enough for me to figure out if dirtdrops is better for my wrist as I suffer from ost-traumatic Arthritis before I order the Salsa Woodchipper and a custom stem! :p

That's got to be the longest headtube I've ever seen, and the most oddly proportioned bike..........but, I can see how it works with the drops.

Wish I'd given it a quick spin round the MM campsite now.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
jango":303zvj4q said:
Wish I'd given it a quick spin round the MM campsite now.

Kev, you at the Peaks? Planning to ride this unless it's wet and slippy - you can evaluate it then...

The Bridgestone inspired me for this build. Actually it is just an interims build until the Nitto DirtDrop stem arrives:

Ciöcc MTB von kanzlr auf Flickr

Things that will change:
Saddle (San Marco Laser in white)
Crank (Sakae, silver)
Seatpost (Sakae, silver)
tires (skillwalls)
brake levers (non-aero Shimano 105)
Bar tape (some cotton stuff most likely)

My '88 Fisher ProCaliber converted to single speed path and canal trail bomber. Last Saturday night, rode it through an Arizona Monsoon (not planned) complete with 40 mph winds, horizontal down pour, and six inches of flooding in the street. Clearly the most fun I've had for a while.

IMG_0007r-3.jpg

IMG_0023r-1.jpg

IMG_0024-2.jpg

I think that is the thing what drop bars is about. They look wrong but go like shit off a shoval in the right environment. I'm cooking something up and love this thread for inspiration!

Latest posts

Back