2001 Kona Catalogue

FluffyChicken":2e08zf3k said:
pipmeister":2e08zf3k said:
FluffyChicken":2e08zf3k said:
ooh and I put the Catalogue (missing a few bits iirc) and the Tech docs into the archive a few days ago now.

Cheers - that's good of you.

Mmm, like we thought... no mention of the Kilauea?

Pip.

No mention anywhere and it wasn't on their old sites either BitD, not even as a frame or special edition.

Curious then? I still only assume that the frame is 2001 merely going by the style of decal. It's odd that there is no mention of it in the information that we do have now.

Mine you, when I bought my Kona Kula Primo Scandium frame in 2003, there was very little reference to it in the Kona literature.

Pip.

Grab the frame number will give you the year and/or send Anthony a pm as he know his Kona stuff.

As for the Kula 2003
I cannot see a 'Primo' (a normal and a 'Deluxe' though) in either the Catalogue or official Tech docs I've put up which are from their official website BiTD :s

There is a 2004 Kula Primo from the 'frameshop' i.e. frame only though.

EDIT my bad it is in the 2003 tech Docs, just listed separately.

The Kilauea that was listed on e-Bay could have been won by unkleGsif, who started this thread.
He may yet reply to my question above asking him whether he did win it - we could hopefully then get the serial number if he did.

I have previously discussed my Scandium Kula Primo with Anthony, who was very helpful with regards to the geometry.

I weighed the frame when I first bought it from new in 2003 - a super light 1,350 grams, 2lbs 15.5oz for an 18".

Since then, I have found the Tech sheet that you are probably referring to. Page 8 does confirm the weight and details the tubing butting. I love that bike - does it deserve to be seen on here yet!!

Pip.

FluffyChicken":37e51bei said:
If you love it, then why not :)

Well hopefully without offending too many Retrobike members....

...Out of the box;

Kula_Primo_201103.jpg

...Different angle;

Kula_Primo_201203.jpg

...Check those curves;

Kula_Primo_201203R.jpg

...Nice kit;

KulaPrimo080111F.jpg

...Side on;

KulaPrimo080111DS.jpg

...Out & about;

FenceWood240411_1.jpg

...Oh dear... not in that colour;

BowdownWood260610.jpg

Pip.

RobMac":18fstym0 said:
2001 Kona Kilauea which used Kona's own brand double butted tubes ........................ I believe :roll:

Oh yeah sorry, FluffyChicken & I seem to have steered off there... back to the original topic subject of the Kilauea.

We’re yet to find out if unkleGsif won the frame on e-Bay. This post did get moved, so he may not have seen my question asking him. I’ll drop him a PM.
Pip.

Sorry gents... been down in the wilds of Cornwall with the mrs for a week, so not been logging in

Yes, I did get the frame, yes I did get it for £59 and yes it was a bargain! :)
As yet undecided what to do with it, as the paint is a little ratty from use, but not bad. We have a powder coat booth at work, so coan get it done there, but would lose the graphics... but then we print as well, but have yet to scope out if I can get these redone

Either way, I'm going to build it up with what I'm riding with at the moment, as it's basically a replacement and upgrade for my current frame.

I've stripped it, and wieghed it crudely and it comes in at just over 2000g
Does this fit with what you guys know?

Frame number is
F008Y0119 across the drive side
0I-77 in the middle
KBI - 0569 on the non drive side

Who is this mystical Anthony of whom you speak?
G

unkleGsif":15k6b654 said:
Sorry gents... been down in the wilds of Cornwall with the mrs for a week, so not been logging in

Yes, I did get the frame, yes I did get it for £59 and yes it was a bargain! :)
As yet undecided what to do with it, as the paint is a little ratty from use, but not bad. We have a powder coat booth at work, so coan get it done there, but would lose the graphics... but then we print as well, but have yet to scope out if I can get these redone

Either way, I'm going to build it up with what I'm riding with at the moment, as it's basically a replacement and upgrade for my current frame.

I've stripped it, and wieghed it crudely and it comes in at just over 2000g
Does this fit with what you guys know?

Frame number is
F008Y0119 across the drive side
0I-77 in the middle
KBI - 0569 on the non drive side

Who is this mystical Anthony of whom you speak?
G

Well done for winning the frame on e-bay for that price!

You'll find there has been much debate on this forum regarding refurbishing a frame by powder coating and replicating the decals. Opinion is divided.... I'll say no more than that for now.

2000g sounds correct to me - what size frame was it in the end? (Centre of B.B. to top of Seat Tube)

The frame number is exactly the same format as my 2001 Pahoehoe & 2001 Kula - there will be a few on here that can decipher the number better than I can.

Anthony has a vast knowledge of Retro (and modern) bikes - but particularly all things Kona. He probably has more awareness than anyone on here with regards to the tubing used for individual models, and why a particular frame was fabricated for a its' specific design & purpose.

It's probably best to wait for him to spot this thread - he will try to help (rather than contact him privately).

Pip.

Back