Retro-modern Columbus Genius road bike

Piers

Retro Guru
I accidentally bought this rather lovely mid 90s frame from Certini Cycles in Saltash. 4lbs dead plus Genius forks.
More pictures and build info to follow ;)

Attachments

• SSC_0206.JPG
    SSC_0206.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 4,331
  • SSC_0207.JPG
    SSC_0207.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 4,330
  • SSC_0208.JPG
    SSC_0208.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 4,331
The bits...
Ultegra groupset from On*One (inc wheels) and a view of the full frame. It is gorgeous in full sunlight.

Attachments

• SSC_0213.JPG
    SSC_0213.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 4,334
  • SSC_0210.JPG
    SSC_0210.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 4,328
  • SSC_0209.JPG
    SSC_0209.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 4,333
  • SSC_0211.JPG
    SSC_0211.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 4,335
Piers,

That frame looks fantastic - a glorious red. That is the sort of 'accident' that puts a smile on your face - well done. I look forward to seeing it built up.

You mention you bought it from Saltash - was this an 'accidental holiday purchase'?

Keep the pics coming and let us have a ride report in due course.

David

My parents live there.
I poped into the shop for a summer shirt and idlly asked about road frames as I'm not convinced by my posh bike's cornering and descending characteristics. They mentioned the usual: carbon, Al and, by the way, steel.
It turns out they have a nest of NOS steel frames from about 1995 lurking at the back of the loft space and one of the staff had a built-up Genius in my size to look at.
My favourite MTB was a candy red Genius frame from Hardisty so I could hardly say "no" ;)
Since then, the shhop has bee very helpful; sorting out a seatpost clamp and touch-up paint at no charge (I need to post the paint pot back to them as it arrived just this morning and its work is done - 4 small chips fixed).

Spec Sheet:

Frame: Certini Cycles (French made) Columbus Genius (4lbs)

Fork: Certini Cycles (French made) Columbus Genius (not many lbs)

Headset: Stronglight 1”
Stem: Cinelli
Handlebar: Cinelli
Bar Tape: Giro or Cinelli, I’ve not decoded yet

Brake Levers/Brifters: Shimano Ultergra 2011
Brake Calipers: Shimano Ultergra 2011
Brake Pads: Shimano Ultergra 2011
Brake Cables: Shimano Ultergra 2011

Shifters: Shimano Ultergra 2011
Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultergra 2011 braze-on
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultergra 2011
Derailleur Cables: Shimano Ultergra 2011
Cassette: Shimano Ultergra 2011 (11-25)
Chain: Sram
Cranks: Shimano Ultergra 2011 Compact 175mm
Chainrings: Shimano Ultergra 2011 50/34
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Ultergra 2011
Pedals: Look Keo

Rims: Shimano Ultergra 2011
Hubs: Shimano Ultergra 2011
Hub Skewers: Shimano Ultergra 2011
Nipples: Shimano Ultergra 2011
Spokes: Shimano Ultergra 2011
Tyres: Continental GP4000
Tubes: can’t remember

Saddle: Specialized Alias (like a board with a hole in the middle)
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Seatpost Binder: generic

Bottle Cage: probable will be a Specialized Rib Cage in black
Extras: Middleburn Cable Oilers in red

Weight:just over 20 lbs

very nice!
also very similar to this frame and forks i just bought - also candy apple metallic red Peugeot and made from Columbus Genius 1997...

KGrHqYOKnUE49qmmmGhBORoz4tOB0_12.jpg

i'm getting the forks converted to 1" aheadset and a stem/spacers painted to match

look forward to seeing your build :cool:

Very nice. Straight blade forks too :cool: are they Genius? Have you got a plan for it?

Mine's now built up, apart from bar tape, and it's a nice ride - at least on a short local loop. Feels comfortable, lively and quick. It's a while since I've been on a road bike (Etap du Dales this year I think) and in the mean time I've been on a big bouncy clown bike which is much more upright, so it'll take a while to evaluate.
The horrid weather's put me off going out on the road, at least with a shiny new bike.

let's see some pics of the finished product! :)

forks are genius too.
Build wise i'm using the campagnolo record 10 carbon groupset that i had on my Dave Russell - i may sell a few bits and splash out on a Black Brooks Titanium Swallow saddle just to finish it off..

Still not fully finished (bar tape and brake cables to trim) but some pictures after a lovely sunny ride.

I've already bought a new saddle cos the Ti Allias is like sitting on a plank with a hole in it and I'm fed-up with light weight pain.
The bar tape is Giro fi'zi:k (black with a blood red stripe).
I'm thinking about bottle cages - Specialized Rib Cages in black as they look nice and shiny and carbon is just silly money.
Or, I might just keep it looking clean and carry a CamelBac instead.

BTW, I didn't miss a bit of the front wheel, it was the camera's "small picture" software and me not using a proper editing program.

Attachments

• SSC_0266.JPG
    SSC_0266.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 3,797
  • SSC_0268.JPG
    SSC_0268.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 3,797
  • SSC_0265.JPG
    SSC_0265.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 3,797
That is lovely. I'm putting the parts from my 2000 Specialized Allez Sport (105 groupset and various Ritchey bits) onto a steel CBT Italia I've just found. Should be a bit more forgiving than the aluminium Specialized. Carbon and aluminium don't suit everyone and using modern parts on an old (or NOS) steel frame is a great idea.

Latest posts

Back