New Member and my Bike (Carlton Corsair 1979)

Benk

Dirt Disciple
Hi , new to the forum ,I have been road cycle since I was in my teens.

This is my daily commuter bike a 1979 Carlton Corsair that as been doing 6 miles 5 days a week, maybe before the winter I will replace the drivetrain but she still going strong.

Attachments

• Bike 1.JPG
    Bike 1.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,858
  • bike 2.JPG
    bike 2.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,858
  • bike 3.JPG
    bike 3.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,858
  • bike 4.JPG
    bike 4.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,858
A great cycle, still has something of the old mid-1970s Criterium about it. By this time raleigh were exerting more and more of themselves on Carlton judging by the name that keeps cropping on the components. Thats a very tidy example and so good to see.

Corsairs were all bought by gigantic blokes! That's in the same 25 inch size as my old one. Very nice - if you ever want to stretch its legs you'll find it a really capable long distance tourer.

jackhulbert":156j45rg said:
Corsairs were all bought by gigantic blokes! That's in the same 25 inch size as my old one. Very nice - if you ever want to stretch its legs you'll find it a really capable long distance tourer.

Yes, bit of a gate! Bit like the Pro-Am frames. Carlton seemed make a lot of 25" frames then...

Just bought a raleigh carlton corsair for £40. my first restoration and its a bloody belter! the front of the frame where the emblem would go is quite rusty and sadly so is the chrome fork tips, has anybody got any tips on removing rust from chrome? The frame is in rather a good condition, appart from a nasty dint on the top bar, however im wanting to remove the Carlton Corsair stickers from the top and bottom bar of the frame much like 'Benk' has done. Will this devalue the bike at all??

Elbow grease is good for chrome! Try rubbing with aluminium baking foil, really works...

Back