hmm .. 1 reason why cantilever+v-brakes are better than disc

Russell":nkj3iug5 said:
Baulz":nkj3iug5 said:
I bought some used Hope Minis 5 years ago and never had a problem

You're in Ontario, where the temperature has been know to vary by 60 degrees from Winter to Summer, and you're telling me that your disc brakes worked all year round?

I don't believe it!

meldrewDM2510_228x364.jpg

I have to say that I have ridden my Juicy 5 equipped Fuel throughout the year in Ontario, including in the last ever Uxbridge Icebreaker 50k (early April), Summer Epic 8 hour relays (30 in the shade) and the late October Hardwood Singletrack 50k, I've ridden it across from home to downtown and back in -15 temperatures (not counting wind chill) and never had any significant loss of braking performance. The 7" cleansweep rotors do go out of true at the slightest provocation though, and being the person I am, even the slightest "ching, ching, ching" drives me crazy.

discs aren't new tech though, they're as old as V's and almost as old as canti's. Whilst thel atter have gone through virtually no development in the last 10 years or so discs brakes have come on in leaps & bounds and continue to do so.
Currently none of my bikes have discs, that doesn't make me a luddite, it's partly an acceptance of what suits the bike better and that the brakes fitted do actually work quite well, despite them not being discs. If the frames had disc mounts on them then I'd probably look at fitting discs, but they don't, so I'm prepared to live with that so that I can continue to enjoy riding the bikes as they are.

Another issue I had with canti's was coming down a hill doing about 50-60kmph, slam on the brakes and one of the canti pads went straight through the sidewall of the rim... I ended up losing a whole lot of skin, ruined the rim, tyre, tube, canti's and forks :x

mechagouki":28d4cpje said:
Personally I think this was the high point in brake evolution:

p6280028_370.jpg

Just need a frame with seatstay u mounts and a fork to match - only ones I can think of were Avalanche team and one of the Rocky Mountains.

DSC00940.jpg

:D

highlandsflyer":2418g75g said:
Geez. Reading some of these tales you would think it was impossible to inspect your rim.

The older I get, the more difficult the inspection becomes...

Latest posts

Back