Do you have to face a bottom bracket shell for hollowtech

Id presume this would be the one that youd most want to do it for!

That said, i dont get stuff faced :?

Facing is a big fat con :twisted:

There will be others who swear by it, but I've never had it done and have HTII bottom brackets that are 4+ years old - they have been regularly serviced though............and there lies the crux of the matter.
I think when BBs fail the manufacturer will say, "well you didn't have it faced, that's the problem." When really it all boils down to HTII BBs being outside the frame, and therefore more liable to dirt/water ingress.

ajantom":2jx76hlh said:
Facing is a big fat con :twisted:

Im glad im not on my own on this.
The only thing that makes sense getting faced would be a brake mount to me. But i have done absolutely fine thus far!
Also, wouldnt the paint crush and often it flakes off (which you would then expect the surface of whatever was covered to be to a pretty good tolerance).

My orginal answer though, is based on the fact that you get stuff faced.

I did but I am a bit funny with stuff like that :oops: :LOL:

In theory it makes good sence and in my experience I would say do it.

When I did mine I went slowly and kept backing the tool off to see what was going on - one side was perfect, the other was slightly out as witnessed by how the tool cut. I found the same when facing the headtube, both items were CNC'd parts. Both were measured afterwards and found to be within 0.01mm around the diameter (I wish I would have measured them before :?).

How much difference it makes in real life in terms of longevity will be the subject of many discussions but it was free for me to do so why not ? :D

WD :D

If it's free then give it a go - it can't harm - well unless you keep re-facing a BB shell and take the length down too much.

What annoys me is shops charging between £20-£30 for it!

every bike shop you ask will say you have to, but then they are the ones making the money. it dose make sence if to want to get both berrings perfectly alingned but then those little plastic spacers that come with it will probley take out any play involved.

Yeah, I only did it enough until I had a nice even shiny ring :LOL:

The shop has to cover the cost of the tools :-( don't know how long they will last though :?

WD :D

Well the tools only cost £100-200. So not really an uber-expensive item.

Most of the cost involved in bike-shops is their hourly rate. Obviously they have to make a living, but it ain't cheap!

I'm now trying to remember the last time I had some work done in a bike shop......................probably about 1993/4 :LOL:

£15-£45 an hour labour is the going rate in most places some more some less and facing does help a little if you have an older frame that is well out of killta but most modern frames 05 onwards wouldn't be that far out (unless cheap and narsty with poor build quality).

In answer if the shop does it for a £10 and pack of hob nobs id get it done for the sake of getting it done ;) if there gonna charge the earth go to a differnt shop and ask ;)

Latest posts

Back