Rear Suspension Travel - Dumb question

Carge":1rft9ly5 said:
Gee Chris thanks - hadn't thought of that.
As you're so helpful, perhaps you could pop round and give me a hand :roll: :roll:

No probs anytime ;)

Seriously though it'll be easy enough to do especially as you have an air shock.

Chris.

bigmick":1xp5rhib said:
if its all to do with shock stroke why do betd links make a big difference

also my 2002 sworks has 2 links from factory one for 90mm travel other for 75

your orange is probably the same only with 2 holes instead of 2 link arms

That is a different suspension system all together. The Orange is a single pivot design and has no rocker. I'm sure that on a single pivot design the travel is dictated by shock stroke length. On a multi link or horst link bikes like your Specialized, different rocker lengths change the leverage ratio on the shock to give longer or shorter travel.

I'm not 100% sure on this but in my head the theory all adds up. When i visualise moving the shock mount on that orange i see no difference in travel, just a slackening of the head angle and a slight drop in BB height.

Si

highlandsflyer":1lqmnjxm said:

Excellent work there sir - many thanks!

The relevant point being:-

The 2000 Mr. XC will have only the 5 inch travel shock pivot location, as opposed to this model’s 3 and 5 inch positions. I found no need to switch the shock to the lower, stiffer and shorter travel position, but did so for test. The lower position creates a slightly stiffer ride toward the end of the stroke.

I'd be amazed if the slightly different shock path made that much difference to the ride

Did some faffing about and measuring tonight - with a buddy to help - cheers Wads!

In the top mount - there was 11cm travel - in the lower mount there was 12.5cm

Wheelbase (axle to axle) was a fraction shorter (2mm) in the top mount compared to the lower mount.

Back