RetroBike National Ride Series - Peaks - 10/09/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
The route isn't rocky - the roughest part are the slabs from Mam Tor to Hollins Cross. No suspension required IMHO.

mrkawasaki":3tvxmr2d said:
The route isn't rocky - the roughest part are the slabs from Mam Tor to Hollins Cross. No suspension required IMHO.

I didn't think the route went from Mam Nick to Hollins Cross, just straight down North to Edale.

mrkawasaki":ums3lb3w said:

Definately the Peak District in Derbyshire? :p

I'm going to have to spend another two weeks considering my fork choice again now :(

Rob Atkin":1063vbjp said:
mrkawasaki":1063vbjp said:

I didn't think the route went from Mam Nick to Hollins Cross, just straight down North to Edale.

Sorry my mistake it does go to Hollins Cross. Been up that way loads of times but never down, looking forward to it.

Mr K and I rode several key sections of the route today. We both agreed that it is riding very nicely.
A couple of days of dry, mild and breezy weather has dried out the trails perfectly. The descent of Bradwell edge, aka. 'the fun bit' was great. It has smoothed out since last year and their was very little mud left at all. The surface gave loads of grip even with a Panaracer Dart on the front.
Mr K cleared it all on his drop bar 'Hamdale' and I had no problems on my fully rigid canti braked Univega. In short, it was ace.

RB-Peaks-recce_03.jpg

We also checked out the Mam Tor to Hollins Cross section and the descent to the cafe in Edale for strategic marshalling purposes and bacon butties.
Again the trail conditions were perfect with a great selection on lines all the way down and no unexpected nasty bits. All good and actually surprisingly smooth and flowing.

RB-Peaks-recce_07.jpg

There was also a rerouted section of bridleway through the cement works which improves an already rather nice section.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Rampage":2did2v8w said:
mrkawasaki":2did2v8w said:

Definately the Peak District in Derbyshire? :p

My thoughts too!!

If you have the choice of suspension go for it. I am seriously worried about riding a full rigid bike for the first time in years!!

By the way, that climb up to the mast is horrible. I walked up most of the road and bits of the track too. Steep AND long!! The RetroWalk begins straight away. :)

Top update on the route and conditions Paul - if it can be ridden rigid'n'Rapha then anything is possible.....

mrkawasaki":3nxgruds said:

I agree with the suspension comment. The downhills on the route have been carefully selected to avoid the rocky bits around here. There are only a few very short sections of descending which are rocky the rest is pretty smooth if you pick the right lines.
That said some of the climbs are pretty loose and rubbly which is why they are used for climbs rather than downhills.

We had to avoid the first climb up to the mast to save time. Instead we did a shorter steeper rougher climb instead. Walking up some of that was definitely required...

drystonepaul":29dc3lgf said:
Mr K and I rode several key sections of the route today. We both agreed that it is riding very nicely.
A couple of days of dry, mild and breezy weather has dried out the trails perfectly. The descent of Bradwell edge, aka. 'the fun bit' was great. It has smoothed out since last year and their was very little mud left at all. The surface gave loads of grip even with a Panaracer Dart on the front.
Mr K cleared it all on his drop bar 'Hamdale' and I had no problems on my fully rigid canti braked Univega. on lines all the way down and no unexpected nasty bits. All good and actually surprisingly smooth and flowing.

That looks a LOT drier than on Monday - hope it will stay that way! If not, who cares?

There was also a rerouted section of bridleway through the cement works which improves an already rather nice section.

Yeah I was surprised at that bit, pretty cool next to the cement works.

Today was not entirely without incident - DSP did crash, rather unspectacularly mind, during an intensive WI bitching session from Mam Tor to Hollins Cross and the Cunningdale decided to spit out the rear axle as I 'powered' my way up the first road climb. Other than than, a groovy ride in spectacular conditions - hope it holds for next week.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 03#1230303

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back