STRANGELOVE

Si, if some nutter comes along with the cash and strange ideas what custom framebuilder in their right mind would show them the door.
Take the money and build, just make sure its lots of money :twisted:

velomaniac":34eqhzeo said:
Si, if some nutter comes along with the cash and strange ideas what custom framebuilder in their right mind would show them the door.
Take the money and build, just make sure its lots of money :twisted:

Oh yeah, customer is king and all that. But what happens if someone asks for something crazy, blows a load of dosh, realizes its a piece of shit and then complains on every internet forum around the globe? Showing him the door before he gets in that situation might be a good investment after all.

dont work like that velo
publicity can kill a small outfit far quicker than it makes it
as a purveyor of such skills you have a duty to guide the customer

so an elevated triple triangle ,1.5 head set, set to run 120/140 mm forks
and a bb50 or 91
built from 4130 and weighing 5.5 lbs giving a sensible 23/4 lb build

I've posted this elsewhere but seeing as we are talking framebuilding....

PLEASE READ!

http://www.thebicycleacademy.org/about/

Are you interested in frame building? Do you want to give something back to the world?

Please have a look at the link above.

Its legendary framebuilder Brian Curtis' new project to both pass on the art of framebuilding, get much needed bikes to Africa, and needs our support.

If any of you have cycling related websites or blogs, have a local club or bike shop, or even hang around on other lesser forums, could you please spread the word. Please do it today, not next week or next month. THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN NOW!

Thanks
Si

Nice idea to a point, wouldn't it be easier to pay donations for an african firm to build their own bike design, surely keeping the skills in the country that needs them is the sensible choice.

Other point is purely selfish in that for me at least Somerset might aswell be the dark side of the moon as regards accessability.

Either way the idea has merit and shall be supported I'm sure ;)

I've just spent an age on the phone to the guy running this project. Top bloke and has so many cool ideas. Basicly the venture has two objectives. Firstly to get some much needed bikes out to Africa and secondly for Brian Curtis to pass on the dying art of frame building.

The problem with teaching people out there to build bikes is the costs involved. You are looking at at least £10k to set up a frame shop that can handle volume. Yes you can build a frame for less, but to build 100 frames a year you need something more than a homemade jig made of plywood. Then there is the hassle of getting tubing, brazing equipment, gas etc.

The second aspect is passing on the skills here in the UK. Most UK builders are getting on a bit. Brian started in 72 and has recently retired. He is, in my opinion one of the top fillet brazers in the world. He is very keen to pass these skills onto a new generation before they are lost forever.

50 years ago vertually every town in the land had a frame builder. He is hoping that if just one or two people a year take the course, get the buzz and starts up a small frame shop building beautiful hand crafted frames, then it can only be a positive process.

They also have plans to start up more Academys around the country should this one work. So with some support, your location might not end up being a problem velo!

Look at what is happening in the states. All those new frameshops opening. This is the beginning of a golden age of handbuilt bikes I think. We have always been behind the yanks by five years. Its starting to take off here- look around the web at the new guys coming through. They are making some very exciting frames.

Si

toons":294712jg said:
any plans for a fat bike?

Absolutely not. They are damn ugly and horrible to ride. They are the absolute polar opposite of what we are going to do.

You're not thinking of getting one are you James? :?

Si

I thought he meant a Fat Chance geometry bike, I take it you are talking about surly fat tyre type stuff?

Back