My first upload. 1996 Claud Butler Enduro

After a bit of googling, I can only come to the conclusion that it should be on the left side of the BB. Examine it closely, sometimes the paint is thickenough to hide it almost completely.
Claude Butler frames sometimes also had the frame number on the steering stem, so you might have to take the front fork out to examine it.

Unfortunately if the fork was changed, that means that there's no serial number on the bike. So let's hope that this is not the case.

From what I found, the serial numbers were always in a similar format of 2 groups. First group (3 or 4 digits) would be the year and month of production (for example 886 would be a bike built in june 1988 and 8810 would be for a bike built in october 198:cool:.
The second group (always 4 digits) is the actual serial number of that month.
So to keep with that example, "8810 4567" would be the 4567th bike built in october 1988

If there really is nothing around the BB or the steering stem, the logical places would be just above the axle of the rear wheel (also on the left side), or at the very top of the seat tube (above the horizontal tube, once again on the left side).
However based on the info I found, I doubt that you'll find anything there. So if you don't see anything on BB and steering stem, your bike just may have no serial number on it anymore.

After a closer look on the BB I did find some thing but it disappears under the welds of the chainstay. I'm going to send falcon a message and hope they reply. I've sent them questions in the past and never had responses, so hopefully I'll have beter luck this time.

Message form on falcon isn't working :? . . may take a trip down there this week see if they can tell me anything.

Update:

New bar ends arrived! :D I've never used any before but I really like the look and feel. :cool:
Now I'm also considering Chrome bottle cages to go with the theme that's appearing.
Photo0058.jpg

Photo0059.jpg

Now rebuilt with full altus groupset with the 21 speed EZ-Fire shifters and rear hub

Current specs;
Frame: Claud Bulter Shinobi Reynolds Cro-Mo

Fork: Claud Butler Rigid 26"

Stem: Kalin 110mm Reach
Handlebar: Kalin ATB HT100 560mm
Barends: Kalin
Seatpost: Kalin Micro-Adjust 26.0mm
Saddle: Selle Royal MTB Sport

Brakes: Shimano Altus BR-CT90 M
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano Altus EZ Fire SB-CT91

Shifters: Shimano Altus EZ Fire SB-CT91 7-Speed
Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus FD-CT91-E
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus RD-CT91
Cassette: Shimano Altus CS-HG30-7
Chain: SLX 9-Speed
Cranks: Shimano Altus FC-CT91
Bottom Bracket: BB-CT91
Pedals: Wellgo V12

Hub Skewers: Shimano QR
Rims: Vuelta Scout 26"
Front Hub: HB-CT90
Rear Hub: FH-CT90-7
Tyres: Vuelta Frontera

I will update with pics tomorrow hopefully.

If the Altus CT-90/91 components shown in the photos are original to the bike, then it's from around 1996.

drystonepaul":3flxwb5i said:
If the Altus CT-90/91 components shown in the photos are original to the bike, then it's from around 1996.

You're right. The 94-95 Altus was the CT50. :LOL:

Claud Butler

Frame looks like a 'Cape Wrath' from the early '90's. I just bought one from 'Santahul' on this forum, has same lugwork and cable routing, same forks and similar 'hologram' type headset badge. Think mine said 'Made in Brigg' under the CB initials. The Reynold's sticker's in the same location too, reads '531 Magnum' Here's the spec sheet for '91 and a pic of mine as I bought it, ignore the horrible white lining on the lugwork, someone having a joke with emulsion paint. Have pics of my build in progress if you're interested.

Attachments

• cape' 91 spec.jpg
    cape' 91 spec.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,813
  • cape 1.jpg
    cape 1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,813
Re: Claud Butler

JHD":3g3xwwba said:
Frame looks like a 'Cape Wrath' from the early '90's. I just bought one from 'Santahul' on this forum, has same lugwork and cable routing, same forks and similar 'hologram' type headset badge. Think mine said 'Made in Brigg' under the CB initials. The Reynold's sticker's in the same location too, reads '531 Magnum' Here's the spec sheet for '91 and a pic of mine as I bought it, ignore the horrible white lining on the lugwork, someone having a joke with emulsion paint. Have pics of my build in progress if you're interested.

Mine infact has a different fork, it's a 1 inch threaded. Also mine has Kalin bars, stem and post and full 1996 Altus gears/brakes. Also the head lugs on your's has 'pointy' bits in the front centre, whereas mine doesn't. Based on your headbadge sticker I'd say your's is probably about the same age (give or take a year or so). Also if I remember correctly, the BR-M650 is Shimano DX (correct me if I'm wrong), meaning your's is a higher end model.

Claud Butler

Yes you're right, there's the full spec sheet for 1991 models on here somewhere but there's no 'Enduro' mentioned.
I think production at Brigg ended in 1994 so that would make them both '92 or '93 I guess.
I pulled those horrible laser/hologram stickers off mine pretty quick, they kind of signified the thin end of the wedge and the slide towards Taiwan for me.
There's a nice Enduro in Midlothian on Gumtree at the moment for £100.

Latest posts

Back