Just got myself a HD DVD player

computerbitz

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Not a retro toy but a rather cool modern one seen a hd dvd player review at a website i use the other day and decided to go get it as it was cheap and given i got discount aswell it was all that bit more sweeter and cost me £150. Well my new toy arrived this morning and boy what a quality buy, set it up before and put one the two free dvd's on and blew me away has a upscale feature aswell so makes normal dvd quality a lil better. if anyone was sitting on the fence waiting to see wins the format wars for HD then forget it and just go get this quality player till someone caves or a dual formt player is made.

I was thinking of getting 1 for my 360, its £130 at the mo and comes with 7 films. Is the quality really that much better?

Yeah it is, i was going to get the 360 one till i seen this but as it has the ability to upscale standard dvds aswell i thought it was good value you get 7 HD DVD's the 2 with the player and a voucher that allows you to pick 5 from a list of 13

I bought the XBOX 360 HD DVD Player on release day and in the end wasn't really impressed. It was good, but didn't justify the cost of the HD DVD's. I remember missile scene on the bridge in M:I:III looking very special indeed.

I wasn't all that impressed with the selection of films either, all the ones i seemed to want were on Blueray. Athough Transformers has now come out on HD DVD :roll:

It may have been due to me 'only' having a 32" 720p/1080i Samsung TV.

However, I do agree that upscaling is very good indeed.

If i ever get a 37" or 42" 1080P TV then i'd probably invest in a standalone player. But all new releases would have to be readily available for less than £15.

I have a PS3 (thank you Father Christmas!) - on a 40" Sony 1080p panel, and gotta say, the picture is absolutely stunning.
Amazed, knew it would be good as seen a lot of HD, but it is well worth it.
Of course Blu-ray is the way forward too...... :D

download will be the way of the future,you can already download HD movies on the xbox.

Im meaning to try this download thing on xbox - Im running a Samsung 47" proper Hi def on an Xbox 360 and would love to see what its all about. Games are great and would love to see 300 so may try it this weekend to see what this Hi def is all about.

Seems the cheapest option is to buy a hi def external drive for the 360 to play disk films, no?

Not really theres a nice one at currys at the mo for 149.99 but according to the website they aint in stock and reduced from 250 see link below. Given that a standalone players offer more than the 360 adaptor as far as i am lead to understand not sure what the 360 adaptor is able to link to your surround sound setups if you have any.

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/c ... &sm=1&tm=5

Back