What would you buy?

Whatleymeister

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Right, I have amassed enough money to buy almost any pair of hubs from the usual internet bike part retailers, but the choice has left me wondering which to plump for.

They will see cross country use and a moderate amount of hard riding on a hardtail saracen. I like the Hope Pro2 Evo hubs, nice and noisy and good rep, but what would others choose?

Thoughts people.

The current range of Hope hubs are very good. Made in the UK and with great reliability, after sales service and spares.
They'd be among my first choice for another set of wheels.

I'm also tempted by the Superstar Components hubs too.

Yeah, the Hopes will take some beating. I also like the DTSwiss hubs and the NukeProof ones look rather tasty as well, but I have no experience of either.

Not bloody noisy hopes!

What about chris kings (probably a bit much).

Maybe go for an I9 wheelset?

Or azonic hubs? Da bomb piston hubs? DT swiss are good as suggested. Phil wood hub? Or what about good old XT/XTR? Goldtec? (some of these may be a bit heavy).

Maybe some halo freedom disc rims?

:?

cyfa2809":1to6ggbk said:
Not bloody noisy hopes!

What about chris kings (probably a bit much).

Maybe go for an I9 wheelset?

Or azonic hubs? Da bomb piston hubs? DT swiss are good as suggested. Phil wood hub? Or what about good old XT/XTR? Goldtec? (some of these may be a bit heavy).

Maybe some halo freedom disc rims?

:?

I wondered how long it would be before someone played devils advocate!

The CK's dont really leap out at me like the headsets, I have no idea why. I didnt see any Azonics and I probably passed over the Da Bomb ones as its a make I havent heard of. I have heard somewhere that Phil Wood hubs are very pricey, to the point where they simply have the name of the organ/limb needed to afford it on the price tag, but I cant be sure.

As for buying a wheelset, I need disc hubs on rim brake hoops. Frame and fork have different brake compatabilities so need to mix and match. I havent yet seen any available, other than on here when I didnt have the spare pennies, or that took my fancy. That all the excuse I need to build a custom wheel set!

More research will be undertaken tonight, but I still think the Hope's will take some beating. And, personally, I like the noise they make! :roll:

Phil wood.. Shiney goodness.... Durable

However expensive and heavy, the click is subtle. But anything is compared to hopes

Amercian classics, atomlab, dmr, tune ....

Back