1996 MERLIN XLM - finally completed

Thanks for the compliments guys!
Assembled the headset (Chris King) and fork & stem last night. After getting that done I realized that I hadn't weighed the frame beforehand. Luckily I had weighed all the parts though so now a little bit math is needed ;)

What do you think- should I use cantilevers or V-brakes in the build?
I have a complete set of Machine Tech V-brakes & levers waiting and using XTR M950 in drivetrain would also speak for V-brakes. In '96 V-brakes had just been introduced and everybody was changing their cantis to V-brakes.
On the other hand, both frame and fork have beautiful cantistops...

Archangel":3qgo4l2t said:
What do you think- should I use cantilevers or V-brakes in the build?

I think cantilevers. I think it looks untidy when the cantilever bridge isn't used. I can say this because it's not used on mine and when I'm back in the same country as the bike I want to put some cantis on it! And some Amberwalls.

Got some nice brakes & levers for the XLM:
Avid SD Ultimates and Tri-Aligns.

merlin_brakes.jpg

But fork me, the Tri-Aligns don't seem to fit with the Pace fork! The brake arms interfere with fork's brake bridge. Does anyone happen to know how to go around this issue except buying a pair of brakes with different design (like Grafton, Critical Racing, ...)

Anyhow, installed some preliminary wheels to see how it looks and here it is:
merlin_xlm_2.jpg

Will probably change that largest chainring to a black version, will probably look better.
How do you guys like the seatpost compared to my old Merlin's Syncros Ti? Which one would be cooler?

Looks great, although either black large chainring, or the Syncros Ti Post and a nice silver stem to match...

Beautiful......quite simply the nicest frames I have ever had the opportunity to touch...the build is looking ace too. Very nice

Changed the largest chainring to a black one - looks much better.

merlin_xlm_3.jpg

Tim will try to help me out with the compatibility issue with Pace & Tri-Aligns. If that doesn't turn out well, then I need to find me a set of Graftons or equivalent...

UPDATE: seems that Tim, the Pace Wizard, is able to provide me a set of new brake pivots with which I could use the Avid brakes. Yay! :)

Back