Stan Pike 531sl TT

I agree with Nob that if it is a Pike then it's probably from Pike Junior but for different reasons. Stan did build shot-in seat stays like this, (there's a pic of Pete Wells riding the Nat 12hr on one somehere on the interwebz), but for me it's the internal cable guides for rear brake and rear mech, styles that didn't really appear until after Stan's death. Always happy to stand corrected though!

It's a lovely frame regardless, oldmuthariley. Is the refinish a powder coat by any chance? Just wondered because if it is, powder-coating is thick enough to cover any stamping that may have been there originally. I also think you'll be looking for a longer bb spindle if you're going to run a double chainset on it though. :D

Hi there,i think your'e both right .
I bought the bike without really knowing what i was buying (lesson learned!).
What on the surface looked like a lovely Stan Pike TT bike was actually a bodge job of different bits.

Frame: powdercoated white but with no identifying marks apart from the P engraved on the head tube lug and cinelli BB. This had pike decals and a non specific Columbus decal - all brand new - the seller - stated "it's columbus KL" (i don't think so) .."it took me ages to source some chrome columbus forks" - i took them off and surprise, surprise.. "made in Taiwan" - he'd just put a sticker on them.

Cranks: Sugino Mighty with a wobbly chainring that just clear the stay

BB: not sure yet but the wrong one for the crank

Chain: just about connected together

RD: Huret - broken

seatpost: Campag Aero - cut to just below the limit line therefore useless/dangerous

Bars/stem: Cinelli Giro Ditalia - seem ok

Calipers: shimano 600 form a parts bin

Wheels: Mavic hubs/ wrongs skewers. wolber rims / knackered tubs

In summary ------ a lovely looking frame put together with a load of tat that is not rideable.

I wouldn't discount it that quickly. I still think it's a decent frame built for it's purpose (time trialling) and neither of us said categorically that it WASN'T a Pike. A rubbish frame wouldn't have clearences like that and your frame will certainly be made from a quality tubing. KL was one of Columbus' lightest tubesets for this purpose but with all these repro stickers about it's always going to be hard to tell 100%. Stan liked to use Reynolds, Ishiwatta and Columbus depending on the need, as all good custom builders do.

Depending on what you paid for it as a whole bike with it's mish mash of bits, you still have the basis for a decent rebuild there. Remember, the frame may well be what it was sold as and that's the most important part. Just go careful before slating people on a public forum before you know for sure.

Build it up and do few 10s on it I say ;)

well , i've removed the name / description from the post but will have no qualms about telling him to his face what i've written in the post.

But, back to the frame......
it is a beaut and i may just build it up with some period gear and use it.
out of interest - if i was to run a 7/8 speed set up on the back - say SIS, then what crankset would i need up front? i only want a single up front (as it was designed) but wouldn't the chain line be all over the shop?

If you use a track chainset designed for single ring then you should be OK. However, Ian Cammish used a triple axle with a single ring so that a large chainring would clear the chainstay and give a better chainline on the smaller sprockets. Sometimes a large ring with a track axle (eg 50 upwards) can rub the chainstay on really short rear-end bikes. A spacer behind the fixed cup can help but longer axles are better.

thanks Ned ( and good to meet you at Manchester).
I have a shimano 600 headset and BB (for a double) so i may get that put in and look out for a shimano chainset.

Apologies for well and truly highjacking this thread! :oops:

Old Ned":10scshbq said:
If you use a track chainset designed for single ring then you should be OK. However, Ian Cammish used a triple axle with a single ring so that a large chainring would clear the chainstay and give a better chainline on the smaller sprockets. Sometimes a large ring with a track axle (eg 50 upwards) can rub the chainstay on really short rear-end bikes. A spacer behind the fixed cup can help but longer axles are better.

I believe Nik Bowdler also has somekind of triple axle so he can use his 77+ Chainring ;)

Beautifull clean Stan Pike. I am not really familiar with the brand, but I understand they are very well made and finished. Would it be possible to put some close up pictures up? :)

update on the white frame........
i've done a bit of scraping on the BB (non drive side )
and unearthed the following numbers - with spaces inbetween:

01 863 1773

any clues? should i scrape away at the drive side?
is it someones phone number!?

cheers
J

Back