1990 Kona Cinder Cone

quirko":113bcq6a said:
Does anyone know what make of toeclip and strap the 1990 Kona came with. I think it was Christophe’s???

Hmmm, tricky. Defo XCD pedals. The catalogue "plugs" Joe's clips, so I'd guess that's what they used.

The spec says "low profile comp pedals"...

Thanks al-onestare. I’ve probably got as much chance getting hold of rocking horse poo than them.

On another note; I would like to use my bike once it’s all up and working. Can I get some recommendation on a make and model tyre that I can use as a good all rounder. Road but some off road (not extreme!). I had some Panaracer smokes (nice off road tyre’s) and I have got one new Panaracer rampage but think that’s a bit too much for road use? I would like something that won’t leave me sinking in sand but also will not be too hard going on the road.

If there’s not such a thing then I’ll just stick with the Panaracer and give my legs a good work out.

Cheers

Update on where I'm at.

Seat post (thanks chaser) and saddle arrived :). Put the old rims on and took a quick test ride, seem's the BB will need changing :(

New inner tube had a slow leak on the seam, back to the shop with that!

Pics of saddle and stem....

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,381
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,381
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,381
Ok... I have spent loads of time getting this back together. I thought I put some pics on... It's not finished yet... NOS Araya rims turned up and have been sent off to be "spoked" if that's a word?

Other bits and bob's I need to get.

Attachments

• Cinder Cone .jpg
    Cinder Cone .jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 785
  • 1990 Kona Cinder Cone.jpg
    1990 Kona Cinder Cone.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 786
Some more...

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,332
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,332
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,332
Beautiful result. Takes me back to the test ride I did of a Cinder Cone in 89 - had the same splatter paint job and a Suntour roller cam brake in the rear.

I've exactly the same model and size but you've made much more efforts than I did, so your result is absolutly brilliant. :shock: Great job!

Yeah great job, really like the grey parts. The XC Pro version will be coming to a screen near you soon ;) (when these white Christophe toe straps turn up :D )

Beautiful restoration. Your tag says Wiltshire. Fancy getting that nice Kona dirty? Go here. Remember, I'm fat and slow...you'll look good!

Back