>An OLD KONA<Reloaded

development_cycle":q85p7xfe said:
I can't explain why but for me, newer stuff on an older bike can look ok, but older stuff on a newer bike? mmm!

The frame is a '94 isn't it? And with '94/95 Manitou EFC! Some of the other bits are of the same age aren't they (XT rear mech, Sugino chainset) and if I'm not mistaken, Kona still offered thumbies as an option (if not the only option!)

Looks right to me! (Excepting Wheels & tyres and the aforementioned purple - which I like, but not on this!)

I had a Kona Hahanha in that colour for my second ever real mountain bike. The first was a DBR Axis Team in that orange and black splat which some scrote stole from the garage. I bought it from a police auction in the first place. Spoke to Diamond Back after buying it though and they reckoned it was an ex team bike. :)

Re: &gt;An OLD KONA&lt;

Cypher":1rsupfif said:
...any comments on the set-up? :)

The whole thing looks awful. I think he should just scrap the project and sell it to me. ;)

JK, make sure to get it in the BOTM - Kona Special.

Re: &gt;An OLD KONA&lt;

Cypher":2rz18uoy said:
...any comments on the set-up? :)

The whole thing looks awful. I think he should just scrap the project and sell it to me. ;)

JK, make sure to get it in the BOTM - Kona Special.

I can't explain why but for me, newer stuff on an older bike can look ok, but older stuff on a newer bike? mmm!

I tend to agree with that, it's nice to put new stuff on an old frame, I dont mean disc brakes or suspension forks, etc, just new type handlebars, seatpost, etc, it make the bike ride feel better and easier to ride, I couldnt put the old huge retro tyres on it cos that is hard to ride when on the road and even off road aswell, there is better stuff out there but love the classic Kona's from the 90's.

Corduroyboy":24qdd34t said:
The frame is a '94 isn't it? And with '94/95 Manitou EFC! Some of the other bits are of the same age aren't they (XT rear mech, Sugino chainset) and if I'm not mistaken, Kona still offered thumbies as an option (if not the only option!)

You're right, 94, the 95 Kula was light blue.

Quote 94 catalogue on thumbies "They shift perfectly, with all the gear choice you could want, and XTR is old hat." Take that!

kona put thumbies on as many of their bikes as possible for as long as they could

from the number of bikes they equipped with them, right up til 94-95 i'm guessing they bought all shimano's old stock when they stopped making them

Much Thanks to everyone for all the constructive input = )
Here are more shots..

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,069
Back