RetroBike National Ride Series - Peaks - 10/09/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I went to the Peaks yesterday to pre-ride the route we are doing on the 10th. I have ridden round there loads but I'd never done the first half so I thought I'd try it out on my modern bike first.

The first descent through the trees was tricky. It was very muddy and slippery - I must have looked a right clown trying to ride it all!!

I had to abandon the ride halfway round as the weather got really bad on the way to Mam Nick and I hadn't brought my big waterproof. In August!!!! What an idiot I am :oops: :roll:

So please bring full waterproofs so you can finish the ride in comfort.

IF ANYONE wants to cut the ride short at any point there are loads of options to get you back to your car. I would certainly be available to lead anyone back to their car if necessary as I know the area well.

Its a good route which shows you the best of the Dark Peak without taking you down the really bad descents which can be bone shaking on a big travel bike. The route also takes in the best views in the area withought having to go right on top of the biggest hills.

On the way up the first hill - the mast visible in the far distance........ Blimey that was a big hill!!

15bad091.jpg

Getting closer!!

8a816f9f.jpg

Ooooh this downhill looks promising...

a7d4c53e.jpg

Eeeeek its slippy!!

451787a3.jpg

I did ride down Cavedale in the wet as a bail out route. Now that WAS sketchy!!

Can't wait for the 10th!!!

Oh my :shock: This could be an interesting one for my first retrobike ride! Hope it stays dry until then else it could be a real mudbath. :roll:

Thanks for the update on current conditions Rob. I'll also be putting in a recce with Mr K later this week as is usual for all Retrobike rides.

This route has been tried and tested over the last few years in many different states and weather conditions. The vast majority of the route remains completely rideable all year round due to the well drained natural trails.

The descent down Bradwell Edge is a short section which does retain moisture in some sections especially during wet summer periods and autumn while the undergrowth is still there.
During winter and in spring the vegetation dies back and the trail generally has more of a chance to dry out.

That said, it is only a short section of the route though and has been known to be dry and dusty even in September.

Please don't be put off riding retro by Rob's report. Nobody will be left to blindly plummet off into oblivion and the phrase 'there's no shame in walking' has often been used during previous rides.

As one of the ride organisers, (and a qualified guide) I'd hate to think that a bit of wet weather would put anyone off riding this fantastic route in the Peaks.
The introductory post does clearly state that everyone should come prepared in case of bad weather, and we have already identified options and contingencies for anyone who wishes or needs to finish their ride early.

Anyone who hasn't been riding with Retrobike before can be assured that a lot goes on behind the scenes to make sure that the ride can go a smoothly as possible on the day.

Looks the same as any/every other year - that's both mud and the hills! Some love it, some don't - all come back for more!

Ride officials are on a recce this Thursday so expect an update nearer the time.

Attachments

• Downhill Decorum.jpg
    Downhill Decorum.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 556
  • Pickled in the Peaks.jpg
    Pickled in the Peaks.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 556
Is that second pic of the bloke walking :shock: down the hill the last bit before you pop out onto the road?
If it is then that bit was like a water/mud slide. Challenging!!

To be fair it's only 1 section about a km long at most that was muddy. Rest of ride should be just rocky and wet - usual for the Peaks!!

Don't worry, that's Gus in the second photo.
He considers riding downhill to be ungentlemanly. Either that or he's just stopping to change his socks.

drystonepaul":33ix0x3x said:
Please don't be put off riding retro by Rob's report.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be negative about it. I will edit my post. Most of the route, is, as has been said, very rideable in all weathers. I have ridden 20 miler in 3 feet of snow before now round here!!!

I was just thinking about someone riding this area for the first time - some thing can be a bit of a surprise if you are a bit gung-ho with your riding or not fully equipped.

I did do a ride with a load of my brothers friends from the South who were completely unprepared for bad weather (they didn't realise how much different it can be up on the tops compared to the valleys) and I'd hate someone to have to cut the ride short just because they didn't bring the right coat....... :D

I have been surprised at how well organised these rides are and I am sure the proper pre-ride report from the professional organisers will be more useful than my wimpy post.

So, apologies - please come no matter and ride retro. I am sure whatever bike you bring will be more suitable than mine and you'll be better than me anyway. I am taking a huge risk in not riding my bike at all before the event so it has a proper baptism - please point any cameras at me for the entertaining shots.... :oops: :D

And again, if anyone wants to join me on a RetroWalk up the hills, I'll be the one at the back... :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back