Dawes found! But what model is it?

Nice. Dont write the frame off just yet either as under all that crud will be a full handbuilt 531 frame as well.

Carl.

drcarlos":24izrfq0 said:
Nice. Dont write the frame off just yet either as under all that crud will be a full handbuilt 531 frame as well.

Carl.

Ah, will it? I was unsure about using paintstripper on it though! Dont want to take the original paint off it aswell.

Would you know which model it might be? Or dose anyone have any links for catalogues for Dawes, 1989 I think.

Wow! that is one great turnaround! Very impressed. Did you manage to get that bottom bracket out yourself? ;)

That's absolutely fantastic! What an awesome save!!!

You're a bloody retro hero

Get that bike built up and that will be an amazing rescue

coomber":k66iy4hv said:
Wow! that is one great turnaround! Very impressed. Did you manage to get that bottom bracket out yourself? ;)

Hi, yes. Amazingly it turned even when I just tapped off the locking ring! The rest was easy!

Gravy Monster":1ov9k64n said:
Wow looks as good as new :cool: DX / Deore II is a great groupset and IMO was built to last, your pics have just proved that !

How long did it take and how messy did you get ;)

I guess it took a week of evenings, just spent an hour here and there really. Each piece had to soak in paintstripper overnight and then get wiped clean the next day then cleaned with white spirit then either T-cut or metal polish, so not much work really!

hydorah":23umhssp said:
That's absolutely fantastic! What an awesome save!!!

You're a bloody retro hero

Get that bike built up and that will be an amazing rescue

Thank you!!

I have used a few bits on my saracen build because they were in such good condition (seat clamp, cranks, pedals) but I had all those bits for that anyway so I still have enough for a bike.

Was never a fan of Dawes bikes though, always thought they were old mans bikes even in the 80's! So not sure if I have the passion to restore the whole thing, but I am tempted to see if the paint will come off the frame without damaging the original paint, and so if it comes up nice I might rebuild it. Its an 18inch so it would actually be a better ride than my saracen.

Watch this space, it could end up as a much longer rebuild thread!

might be worth trying some 1200 wet and dry on the frame then you can rub off just down to the dawes paint to see what you have.
Do it wet with soapy water.

Back