Marin Muirwoods 1991

Forks

Hi,

I have a '91 Muirwoods that i cherished fondly back in the day. I reckon i still have the old green forks for it at my folks house.

Would you want them?

Gmelrose.

That's going to look great when finished. I've got a '91 Bear Valley - love the matt frame with shiny forks.

New bits arrive in the post

I collected a sturdy box of parts from the local sorting office this afternoon. It should provide me with almost all the parts I need to complete this project. What a result, they are in nice condition too.

new_bits01.JPG

Page edited to show new image location

Spec List

This will be a work in progress, but at the very least it will help me keep a track on where I'm at.
Should you spot anything you can supply to fill a gap please let me know.

Frame: 1991 Marin Muirwoods MTB
Fork: Raleigh!
Headset: TH Industries
Stem: Marin Palisades
Handlebar: Marin Palisades
Grips: Marin Palisades
Barends: Marin Palisades
Brakes: Shimano BR-M201
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Marin Oversized
Cantilever cable hangers: Marin
Brake Levers: Shimano Short Reach
Shifters: Shimano 300LX
Front Derailleur: Shimano 300LX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 300LX
Derailleur Cables: Shimano 300LX
Cassette: Shimano MF-HG50-7 Megarange 7 speed 34/26/22/18/15/13/11
Chain:
Cranks: Shimano FC-MC33 170mm
Crank Bolts: Marin
Chainrings: Shimano
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: 'Cuda
Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Mavic
Hubs: Shimano
Nipples: Unknown
Spokes: Unknown
Tyres: 26 x 2.1 Mythos XRC
Tubes: Duro
Saddle: Velo (recovered in leather)
Seatpost: Marin steel
Seatpost Binder: Marin

Weight: 14 kg

marin

good start. I like marins. I will look for updates.
I can help with...
1. Crankbolts
2. Seatpost binder.
3. Seatpost.
4. Maybe seat.

Will get back to you.

Time to get the sanding wheel out

Having spent far too much time recently on essential DIY house maintenance chores, it was time to treat myself to a more pleasant task.

I fired up the drill and an abrasive flap wheel and cleaned off all the rust and old paint from the frame.

marin_muirwoods31.JPG

marin_muirwoods32.JPG

Next I stripped back the stem and handle bars recently supplied. It broke my heart to do it to such perfect components, but I didn't want them in floro yellow.

Frame respray

A change of plans around mid December and into the Chrismas period left me with some free time to treat the Marin to a rattle can respray in Silk Black finish. This will never be as good as powder coating, but the upside is that and chips and scratches can be easily repaired in minutes.

The paint is very cheaply available from CPC/Farnell for around £4 for a 400 ml can, spraying is very user friendly, you are better off laying it on as thickly as you dare and there is no cutting back to do on a silk finish. I have used this type of finish at work for speaker stands, stage lighting and even flight cases.

As it was quite a cold period and the garage, though well ventilated, can be prone to dampness in winter, I arranged to hang the frame with a simple heater running at about 1Kw directly underneath. The heater has no fan and doesn't kick up dust or debris as a result.

After a couple of weeks to give the paint a chance to harden off, I fitted a new headset utilising a simple tool I built from some studding, nuts and plastic plumbing thread adapters. This was my first ever attempt to install a headset and it worked a treat.

Then it was time to refit the freshly resprayed forks, stem and handlebars. With the addition of the wheels it was starting to look like a proper bike for the very first time.

marin_muirwoods35.JPG

Back