Raleigh Wisp Mixte (updated)

ianfoot

Dirt Disciple
I started a thread here - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0 but as it's going to progress into a build thread, it's probably better in here.

The bike in question is an early 80's Raleigh Wisp, sporting 5 of Sachs Huret's finest gears and a lot of oily filth. Although it's actually in very good condition.

So I've assembled pretty much all of the parts now, a Stronglight 52/42 chainset, Shimano Exage 300ex rear and front mechs, with a new 6 speed HG freewheel and chain. Indexed levers are going on the downtube. I've a Charge Ladle saddle on a new 25.4mm seatpost. And I've cleaned up the original Weinmann calipers a treat, ready for reuse.

The bars have changed from the original planned VO Belleville, to the narrower Velo Orange Montmartre bars. I was going to use Portland Design Works grips on the bars, but they're too long, so I've got some Fizik Honey bar tape which matches the saddle perfectly.

Anyway, when I picked it up it looked like this.......

DSCF6078Medium.jpg

DSCF6082Medium.jpg

I've just got it back from the powdercoaters (ABC Enamelling in Nailsea nr Bristol, who did a superb powdercoat job for a very good price) and have fitted a couple of bits tonight. Apologies for the bad pics - will get some outside on the weekend. The colour is RAL5014 Pigeon Blue.

DSCF6162.jpg

DSCF6158.jpg

DSCF6157.jpg

More to come over the weekend.

Finally finished - just got to set up the gears / brakes on Thursday night down at the Bristol Bike Project.

Frame: Raleigh Wisp - 18-23 CroMo tubing

Fork: As above

Headset: Raleigh
Stem: Custom (Raleigh)
Handlebar: Velo Orange Montmatre
Bar Tape: Fizik Honey

Brake Levers/Brifters: Dia Compe 135
Brake Calipers: Weinmann 500 (Front) and 730 (Rear)
Brake Pads: Ashima one piece orange stripe
Brake Cables: Clarks Grey

Shifters: Shimano SL-A400 band on levers
Front Derailleur: Shimano Exage 300ex
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Exage 300ex
Derailleur Cables: Clarks Grey
Cassette: Shimano 6sp freewheel
Chain: Shimano HG
Cranks: Stronglight 103 (170mm)
Chainrings: Stronglight 42/52
Bottom Bracket: Tange
Pedals: Raleigh

Rims: 27 x 1 1/4" Raleigh (Steel)
Hubs: Maillard (Alloy)
Hub Skewers: Nutted
Nipples: original
Spokes: original
Tyres: Conti Ultra Sport
Tubes: Halfords

Saddle: Charge Ladle Womens
Seatpost: System Ex 25.4mm
Seatpost Binder: Raleigh

Bottle Cage: n/a
Extras: n/a

Weight: not too bad

DSCF6295.jpg

DSCF6296.jpg

DSCF6297.jpg

DSCF6298.jpg

DSCF6299.jpg

DSCF6300.jpg

DSCF6301.jpg

DSCF6302.jpg

DSCF6303.jpg

DSCF6304.jpg

DSCF6305.jpg

Love that colour, very very understated. If I can say Im not sure about the tyres, amber walled would have been better - but thats just me!

I think youre right. When i get round to changing the 27" wheels to 700c alloys i'll go for gumwalls.

You have done a smashing job on that mate! So glad to see that the cracked headtube was not terminal.

fortunately it was the smallest of cracks to the top lug, and dropping a little flux in/over it seems to have sorted it a treat.

thanks for the compliments. the colour is RAL 5014 Pigeon Blue - it looks even better in the flesh.

Absolutely lovely.Do you intend riding it much,or is the pleasure from just restoring it?

to be honest, i think it'll probably get used about 5 or 6 times a year. I really enjoyed doing it, and am already on the lookout for my next project......

Spokesmann":3q1nybqn said:
If I can say Im not sure about the tyres, amber walled would have been better - but thats just me!
I would guess that the tyres are probably 27 x 1 1/8 and if so the conti's are about all that is available. I really wish that Michelin would do a batch of world tours in that size as the Conti's really don't look right on 80's bikes. I'm having the same problem with my Raleigh Royal. My 27 x 1 1/8 Michelins have finally ended their life and the 1 1/4 I have put in are really too large, I can't actually inflate them as hard as I would like because they rub on the frame. At that time Raleigh did a lot of their bikes with close tolerances for 27 x 1 1/8, I guess all the other makers did too. My Royal originally had Michelin Club Tourist tyres on but since then I have used nothing but World Tours. Sadly, I have just ordered a pair of Contis for it. My wifes Carlton Courette is even tighter tolerance and the 1 1/4 world tours are unuseable unless I take the mudguards off.

If anyone from Michelin reads this PLEASE do a run of 27 X 1 1/8. There must be 1000's of 80's bikes in desperate need of them!

Think the Wisp looks great by the way but if it was mine I would put the mudguards back on.

Back