Raleigh Catalogue 1973 and 1974/5

GarethPJ":2hm8fwpd said:
Spokesmann":2hm8fwpd said:
Carlton were still pretty autonimous at this point, although a lot of Raleigh branded and controlled parts were gradually diluting the Carlton individuality.

You're not kidding. One of the Carltons I had was about the same age as this catalogue and it was very definitely a Raleig frame.

No Im not kidding.

Spokesmann":2o0x63x9 said:
Elev12k":2o0x63x9 said:
Interesting. Carlton wanted their bikes were associated with rifles and gas guzzling powerboats and cars.

Speed and craftsmanship were the values they were trying to get a cross.

In understand. However we won't see that in 2010 bike catalogues anymore.

You are a Raleigh/Carlton connaisseur: I do have a Raleigh RecordAce, build by Carlton Worksop. Full 531, Campag dropouts. Half chromed fork blades, chromed drop out rear. Very light blue. It looks a lot like the 2010 USA Raleigh Record Ace. I have searched it in every catalogue I could find on the web, but so far no result. Do you know more on it? Equipment on it was full Superbe.

Elev12k":261h7w8z said:
Spokesmann":261h7w8z said:
Elev12k":261h7w8z said:
Interesting. Carlton wanted their bikes were associated with rifles and gas guzzling powerboats and cars.

Speed and craftsmanship were the values they were trying to get a cross.

In understand. However we won't see that in 2010 bike catalogues anymore.

You are a Raleigh/Carlton connaisseur: I do have a Raleigh RecordAce, build by Carlton Worksop. Full 531, Campag dropouts. Half chromed fork blades, chromed drop out rear. Very light blue. It looks a lot like the 2010 USA Raleigh Record Ace. I have searched it in every catalogue I could find on the web, but so far no result. Do you know more on it? Equipment on it was full Superbe.

Ill have a poke around in my other catalogues when I get a chance.

As requested a few more scans form the two catalogues. More bad Freemans models too as well as the bikes!

Olympus.jpg

My first proper drop bar bike. Cant say I ever wore a tank top on a bike....

The Nimrod was the entry level 27" wheel bike in the Raleigh range then. It had braze on gear and brake fittings, although everything else was steel.

Nimrod.jpg

Up from the Nimrod was the Scorpio...
Scorpio2.jpg

Now we have something a bit better, the Europa. This really looked the biz in the 1970s and in my view Id have one as well as a Carlton like them that much. A friend of mine had one and it looked class in that livery. Gave Raleigh some much needed kudos and image points in my view.
Europa.jpg

From around 73 Raleigh also had the Flyer and Rapide, Flyer wasn't a patch on anything else that had previously carried this famous name.
Flyer_rapide.jpg

Hustlers were pretty common then, including the earlier green and gold colourway models.
Hustler.jpg

Absolutely fantastic. I've got a 2010 Genesis catalogue on the arm of the chair next to me, which is essentially thirty pages of skirting round the fact that all their stuff is built in half way around the globe. This is a world away. I love the flag flying, the confidence, the colours and the sheer mouth watering array of fantastic seventies-ness on display. It is making me want to start experimenting with cycling in flares and a side parting right now.

Thanks very much for posting Mike.

Goldie":p3ntepe6 said:
Absolutely fantastic. I've got a 2010 Genesis catalogue on the arm of the chair next to me, which is essentially thirty pages of skirting round the fact that all their stuff is built in half way around the globe. This is a world away. I love the flag flying, the confidence, the colours and the sheer mouth watering array of fantastic seventies-ness on display. It is making me want to start experimenting with cycling in flares and a side parting right now.

Thanks very much for posting Mike.

Thanks for the comments, I was only a kid when this lot came out but Ive ridden many in the catalogue and remember seeing a fair few of the others. Despite all the cr@p that was going on in the 1970s we did have a home grown manufacturing/cycle industry.

Ill dig out some more goodies soon!

Hi. do you know which year the raleigh catalogue scan is and is there an original specification page? I just picked up the same scorpio from ebay! can't say i'll be wearing the flairs anytime soon though
1 :LOL:
cheers

alwillis82":2esne6we said:
Hi. do you know which year the raleigh catalogue scan is and is there an original specification page? I just picked up the same scorpio from ebay! can't say i'll be wearing the flairs anytime soon though
1 :LOL:
cheers

Its from around 1974.

Brings back some memories :D we used to have to touch up the scratches on new bikes and that Raleigh Scorpio was a nightmare. We stuck badges on instead.

RMM116 CF plus number was the paint codes in those days..

Shaun

Re: Carlton Equipe decals

Anyone know where it is possible to get decals for a 1975 Carlton equipe?

Back