hmm .. 1 reason why cantilever+v-brakes are better than disc

dbmtb":2itnmtv7 said:
Should be common sense - it should be blatantly obvious that there's no way those rotors can deal with hardcore stuff.

I think the issue in this case was that the rotor was mounted in the reverse direction from that which it should have been (but correctly according to the etched arrow). However, the manufacturer (Ashima) changed the recommended direction on later production runs in line with what has become the accepted "correct" rotation but didn't notify previous purchasers of this or issue a recall notice.

The rotor failed during routine bedding in of some new pads, not during the pursuit of "hardcore" stuff, however you define that. All that any brake is required to do is slow or stop a rotating wheel - the terrain has little impact on this.
Although a high speed/ hard braking descent on asphalt is probably the sternest test of all when it comes to dissipating heat.

Poyares":2i25yv50 said:
Ecological.

Cants and Vs don´t need oil.

And logical

You're carrying in a rim anyway... Use that wall for another job too

Don't carry extra steel

And how many standards? Diameters? Pad patterns? Fluids?

...Yeeah...

Oh and you can setup up cantis to be amazing - and you can clean the pad grooves once in a while and pick out any shards and make your rims last and last and last and cause them to not be a load of poo in the wet

V-brakes were a massive step forward for people who struggled with Cantis

Discs are a massive step forward in using up the weight saving made by modern techniques to ensure new bikes are not much lighter/even heavier than the comparably specced retro

Although having said that I did ride my bro's shiny new Cannondale SL the other day and the brakes were fantastic, not the on/off switches I expected

hydorah":hiokpnef said:
Although having said that I did ride my bro's shiny new Cannondale SL the other day and the brakes were fantastic, not the on/off switches I expected

Yeah, they're good. My Copperhead has a set of Formula RX brakes on 180mm discs, and I'm amazed at how gentle they can be whilst still providing enough power to flip you over with a single finger.
Even with V-brakes with proper pads and brake boosters I never got that combination of precision and power.

However those modern discs have such big holes in them that you really feel them in the lever. It's like a soft vibration really. Can't say I like that, but maybe I just need to adjust or maybe that'll improve once the discs and pads are worn in.

Canti brakes have a wire connecting the two to the brake cable[straddle wire].If the brake cable snaps the straddle wire would snap hard against the rolling surface of the tyres,would likely catch and have the same result as the disc.

The Ken":1na0ta34 said:
I've recently switched to lightweight rotors should I be worried? :)

From this...
img_0066_201.jpg

to this...
IMG_0369.jpg

Yes you should be worried. You've got a clamp on a cast magnesium fork leg that wasn't engineered to have one on it. This and just welding disc tabs to any old seat stays that don;t have the engineered thickness to handle it are two reasons that failure will happen. Have seen it posted more than once. I think this is one of the biggest dangers in retroland....personal engineering of newer parts onto older frames and forks that weren't designed to have it in the first place.

You guys make me laugh. Discs using up the weight savings? You are aware that a decent modern disc set up is comparable in weight to a set of xtr v brakes?

Russell":2ikld47f said:
You guys make me laugh. Discs using up the weight savings? You are aware that a decent modern disc set up is comparable in weight to a set of xtr v brakes?

Yeah.
But that would be no fun ;)

The lighter the rotor the more likely it is to want to flex-putting strain on the mounts.
The less metal on the braking surface = lesser performance than a rotor with a larger surface area for the pad to grip on.
Plus these rotors with huge holes in them are a bit of a suspect for the snatch and fail culprit :?

Russell":1778smj3 said:

The next thing you are going to tell us is the brake levers, lines, fluids and all those gawdy awful cable mounts add up to be less than earlier versions....you make us laugh :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Disc brake with rotor and all the needed is less? really? Only if a guy's using cast iron v-brake pads.

Back