hmm .. 1 reason why cantilever+v-brakes are better than disc

Raging_Bulls":3ogajguq said:
I lost some teeth when a V-brake mounting point snapped off my fork several years ago (which is why I always use brake boosters ever since). Guess that makes cantis and V-brakes dangerous as well.

Face it, the only safe method is the old-school one. With the wooden block that's being pressed onto the tire, like they did a century ago.

Na kickback pedal brake!
Building up a bike at the moment that's going to use one of these and a drum brak on the front :D

jimo746":3y3rda58 said:
I've used Ashima discs for ages (just recently sold an unused disc rotor :shock:) and this is the 1st I've heard of it :? Yes they are supposed to be weight weenie discs and if I was doing any kind of hardcore riding then I'd use something more substantial but....

In the Singletrack thread (I haven't re-read it but I did follow it when it was first posted) didn't the matter of mounting direction come up? In other words, whether the spokes were set up to be trailing or leading and the fact that the manufacturer had changed their recommendation as to which was the prefered orientation ?
Or something like that - I'll have to have another skeet.

*Edit* - I've had another read and this does seem to be the case.

yes - the manufacturer change the direction of the arrow.

anyways, been thinking a bit about this.

bolts when done up correctly clamp the two pieces together and the friction between them is what holds the parts together, especially in side shear situation like here.

So if the bolt was tight, the stress would be above the bolt hole, as per red dotted line in top diagram.

If the bolt was lose, then force is "pivoting" around the bolt and will along the red line, which happens to be the thinnest part of the rotor.

It'd be interesting to see photos of the other failed rotors.

Attachments

• rotor.jpg
    rotor.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 1,212
cantilevers are betters than disc and V brakes for really one reason :
They are cooler !

:D

I've recently switched to lightweight rotors should I be worried? :)

From this...
img_0066_201.jpg

to this...
IMG_0369.jpg

having had 5 bikes with discs on ive decided i hate them and would rather have canti or v-brakes :LOL: as i think they give more feeling and so much easier to maintain :cool:

Should be common sense - it should be blatantly obvious that there's no way those rotors can deal with hardcore stuff.

Back