GNBR (great north bike ride) 28th august 2011

saltyman":3kx5k34z said:
apparently almost 2,000 peple riding this year?

first time for me, looking forward to it :cool:

Must be, I'm sure my number is 19-something.

Cheers again for the info. Alp*Willi, it's much appreciated!

how did people get on?

that wind was torture :x

i left seahouses at 9:21am and got to tynemouth priory 56 mile later at 1:31pm

then rode home.......71 miles in total, my poor knees :oops: :LOL:

saltyman":1fuz11qk said:
how did people get on?

that wind was torture :x

i left seahouses at 9:21am and got to tynemouth priory 56 mile later at 1:31pm

then rode home.......71 miles in total, my poor knees :oops: :LOL:

I must have been in the same set off group as you Salty - left at 9.21 and got in at 12.47. Went to Brown's Salthouse with some mates for (much needed) food afterwards and there were still people rolling by at 4pm. That's a long day!

I think the wind was at its worst when you turned to ride up beside the power station. Felt like hitting a wall!

Thought it was a bit cheeky that they put the finish line down the bottom of the priory. Totally flew down there then realised I would have to get back up!

Did you see the guy being given CPR on the side of one of the big roads? Two ambulances and a police car went flying up there shortly after I passed. Couldn't find anything on the news about it so I hope the chap's OK.

That happened outside Hadston. I came upon it while there were 2 ambulances on the scene. Police weren't doing much of a job diverting traffic so there were big queues building up on what is a very busy road this time of year.

The wind just didn't turn enough this year. Last year we had a wind of the same intensity but from the North - absolutely flew the course!!! Agree that the bit on the Cambois road was a killer, so was the short sharp hill to climb back over the Spine Road at Bedlington Station. Not only is it a s*** of a climb but the wind was blowing straight down it. Thought my thighs were gonna cramp for sure reaching the top of it. :oops:

I started off a little behind you guys, I think it was around 0930 when I finally went through the start gate and got to Tynemouth around 1430. About the same time for me which is good.

Saw the same examples of idiocy on the road again - overtaking slower traffic on the wrong side of the road approaching a blind bend just to get past them. Not sure if there were any other accidents but I will be very surprised if there wasn't.

Good day had by one and all by the sound of it - c u at the 2012 one!!!

There was a guy who died at Embleton last year. Had a heart incident before bouncing off a car. Air ambulance and everything. He unfortunately died as well :cry:

Back