29er by FTW with a Kilo fork as icing on the cake

novekili

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I also posted this one on the new school section, but here it fits better. A bautiful bike IMHO but it might not be everyone's cup of tea. It's mine tho.
Needs good wheels because these are too heavy.
Tuscan hills on the background. They look peacefull but they are full of nasty horseflies in this period.

Attachments

• ftw forum.JPG
    ftw forum.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 2,664
agree, that bike looks just right :cool:

not into 29ers, but that specific one maybe makes me change my mind.

at leat with this bike you dont need to be "Ashamed of being Italian " :LOL:

No, no shame here... German fork, American components ;).

The frame is one of a batch of 6 we ordered from Frank. I had always dreamt of having a bike made by him, so my friend Paolo, who owns a small distribution company, asked me to give him a call. When he answered the phone, well, I couldn't believe it. We spent quite a lot of timechatting. Frank is a very friendly guy, and he doesn't mind losing some of his time talking with people who share his love for bikes. We ordered a stock of 6 dirt bikes, both 29 and 26, but I'm an xc rider so there was nothing for me. The next step was having these 29ers built.

Tubing is a mix of Easton Elite and Columbus: apparently, getting light tubesets for 29ers is difficult in the USA, so Frank mixes and matches different aluminium sets. I went for the rugged look so the frame is brushed and not painted. Also cool because with some scotchbrite it gets like new again. For a 29er, the headtube is a tad tall. Frank choses not to shorten it as the other brands do because short headtubes are prone to cracking. I've mounted a negative -16 degrees stem and the position is perfect. Besides, I can't see why so many people want an ultra short headtube and then they use upward pointing stems and risers (ok clearance is better, but the frame is less sturdy).

The bike is just perfect, neutral feel, good climber, stable on fire roads, fast on twitchy singletrack. Welds are transcendental.

:cool:

When you say we how do you mean :? being a bit thick today :LOL:

Great to hear a bit of the story.

I think Frank is a member here :cool:

My friend Paolo and I. Frank wanted to design a "standard" bike, to weld using a custom tubeset, I wanted a 29er and Paolo wanted other bikes to sell for his activity (www.froimport.it, have a look at the museum because it's impressive, albeit a bit of a mess at the moment). We basically decided to get a bike built for the typical racer who wants a 29er - my profile (actually I'm a slow racer, but I like to consider myself 20 years younger and much stronger than I actually am, just to keep my moral up). So I got a bike built for me myself and we had other 5 frames built with the same pipes and geometries.

Back