KermitGKona88

Gold Trader
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Hello Retrobikers.

Are we all sitting comfortably.

Good then I shall begin..... :D

Once upon a time, long ago there was a lonely frog who decided to search for his soul mate (Retro Bike ;) ).

He knew the road would be a long and hard one, perfect for a good mountain bike.

So his search began, he tried looking on a Volcanic island* and found some interesting things, but not the perfect one. Then he found a Heron* good but not quite right, then he came across a Snake*. This seemed like he had found the one, but, after a long engagement, the Frogs mind began to wander again :(

So after trying something a bit more Specialized*, and popping back to the Volcanic island for a short time.......

Something Feisty came on the horizon...... A MONGOOSE :cool: an IBOC pro SX in a 1996 flavour to be exact (frame only). The Frog was smitten from the start, it was lithe,svelte,nimble and very light (A Gnats gonad over 4Lb).

So where to start on the build........

I checked the original spec http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpec ... &Type=bike

I Decided with what I had I would try to do a retromod homage to the original spec.....

Frame- Mongoose IBOC pro SX 1996 ritchey logic WCS prestige
Forks- Marzocchi Bomber Z1 x-fly 2001
Headset- FSA Orbit extreme
Spacers- Hope and X-lite
Stem- Salsa Cro-moto
Bars- Syncros EA70 'dead straights'
Brake Levers- Avid SD-Ti
Front Brake- Avid BB7 180mm
Rear Brake- Avid SD7 (Ti bolts and Alloy nuts)
Cables- Clarks Pre-lube
Shifters- Grip-shift 9.0sl (9 speed)-Grip-shift grips
Front Mech- XT 739 Top-pull (Ti bolts)
Rear Mech- SRAM X0 mid cage (BBB Rollerboys)
Crankset- AC Forged
Rings- Talon (Silver) 44-34T, Middleburn (Blue) 22T
Bolts- SRP (Red), Middleburn (Gold), Nc17 Crankbolts (Blue)
Bottom Bracket- Dura-ace
Pedals- DMR V8 (Silver)
Wheels- Mavic Crossrides
Tyres- Michelin Country Mud
Skewers- Control-Tech bolt-on (Black)
Cassette- SRAM PG89 11-32
Chain- SRAM PC951
Seat Post- Ritchey Expert (Polished) 27.0
Saddle- Ritchey Wing WCS
Extras- Hope bar-doctors (Red),SRP cage bolts (Red),Topeak Cage (Black), Alloy Top-cap (Blue)

Phew :LOL:

So after all this the Frog finally found his soul-mate FOR NOW................ ;) :LOL:

Attachments

• mongoose3.1.jpg
    mongoose3.1.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 2,921
  • mongoose2.1.jpg
    mongoose2.1.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 2,921
  • mongoose1.1.jpg
    mongoose1.1.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 2,921
Ribbit

:) Hi Kermit.

Thanks for passing Sam my way, the Dawes has gone to a new home.

I can believe you are smitten, what a lovely, lovely frame.

Are the Crossrides Disc specific, but you are running the back on a V?.

I also love the chainset!.

What a good job.

BTW there is a nice PINK IBOC for "Miss Piggy".. in the 4 sale forum... :D

Hi Passiflora

He was looking for a nice bike with an a-head system so was pretty simple really :D

The frame is awesome also has some lovely detailing will put up pics of this later :D

The Crossrides are 2009 vintage I believe this was the last year they did dual use ones ;)

Phew glad someone has said about the chainset, I have been having mood swings about it all day since I took the pics but now :D :D

And yes I might have had that 'Miss Piggy' but my poor little froggy legs are way too short ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Cheers for the positive comments :D

Mark :D

I've always thought Mongoose IBOCs are under-rated and are definately under-represented on here.

That looks to be a seriously good one.

On another note I'm glad to see someone else riding Z1s on an old steel hard tail.

To be honest with you I am amazed at how totally under-rated this frame is, I bought it on the for sale forum for £40 posted with a good XT BB in it :shock: A few paint chips and scuffs but nothing major at all.

In its day the bike this built was $2199 (Ritchey P21 $2500)(Kona Explosif Columbus Max $1699)

Having seen some of the steel frames made of similar tubing go on here for loads more I think this represents a fantastic bargain :D

Back in the mid 90s I used to ride with a group and one of the guys had a bonded carbon and aluminium lugged IBOC. It was really light and handled great. I can't remember which model it was, but it was a dark green colour. Good to see your's here.

What a nice ride! Is that a Ritchey tubing sticker I spy?

I've a 1996 IBOC Zero-G that I bought on clearance in 1997. Finest rigid bike I've ever ridden.

Back