Rattle can paint job?

good effort on your painting magsy and you've covered most painting details in your post.

I hope the 2k project works out, you should find the paint much more durable. An air fed mask with clean supply would solve any worries about paint or isocyanate hardener but a decent mask with new organic vapour cartridges was always considered ok. You will smell the solvent when the filter has expired (you hope!)

Good ventilation is nice but watch out for dust with unfiltered air (do you use tack rags?)

Remember the dust coat on metallics.........

Create a tent with some sorta sheeting? or just a windbreak...

Personally I'd paint it a dark solid colour to try and hide any bits in it.
Primer it, bring it in to dry, carefully sand any crap out of it, repeat process with the colour and then the lacquer/clear coat, polish to a shine.

It goes without saying it needs to be warm, dry and still. Just wait for the perfect day.

You could paint it inside but aside from the funes it creates quite a lot of dust that gets everywhere. I have painted smaller things in the downstairs toilet :roll:

Best location for spraying I find is the greenhouse (preferably empty).
Tape some newspaper over the lower glass, usually still nice and light
and on a reasonably sunny day you can get a bit of a bake in the warm
dry atmosphere.

I did spend a fair amount of time thinking about spraying the frame I'd got, but someone put me in touch with a powder coater close to where I work and they did the frame for £10, which included cleaning prior to powder coating using solvents to remove any greasy residues, and when I picked it up I was very impressed with the quality of the work with no flaws in the paintwork whatsoever. I did get the frame painted in white and did all the stripping and prep work before dropping it off but it would have cost me at least three time what I had paid to get it to the same level of finish and would not have lasted as long. If anyone who lives in and around Manchester is interested, drop me a PM and I will forward the details onto you.

Regards

Liam

Liam1611":1cv4j53e said:
...a powder coater... did the frame for £10, ... anyone who lives in and around Manchester is interested... Liam

I'm in like Flynn!

Back