Rattly Mavic Rims

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ever heard of rattly Mavic rims? My rear X717 has a really annoying occasion rattle...I put it down to a wheel builder dropping a nipple but I have just seen this....any experience yourself?

Apparently Mavics are known for a manufacturing defect, that I wish I had known about before ordering these rims and building wheels. My rear wheel was built with the new Alfine 11 hub and the XM819 rim. At first I thought the noise was from the hub, but after close inspection, I detected that it was coming from the rim. I was told by several friends (after the failure) that Mavic inserts pins into the rim to align the sides before welding, and some of these pins come loose and rattle around.

I was unlucky with this rim, but Mavic is doing a warranty repair, replacing the rim and rebuilding the wheel. I can only hope that these rims do not start rattling in the future, especially after the 2 year warranty expires.

Oh so thats what that noise is!!

XM317 it does it on i have
Dont recall it doing it on my old 717 though

Should i be worried?
Anyway to resolve this?
And at what age are they saying no to replacng it? :?

I have a 517 with a rattle that I assume is this. If the pins are just for allignment when welding I wouldn't have thought it would matter, apart from the rattle being a little annoying, but if Mavic were offering replacements makes me wonder if it is a more serious problem.

I have an Open 4CD does this.

It's not widespread and not a structural issue. All tricks bar filling rim with expanding foam have been tried.

I've seen this on 217s and 517s. If I remember right, it's not the pins, which are snuggly held in the rim wall. There is also a short plate over the join area which comes loose. It may not look or sound loose with the tyre off, but with a tyre on and 40psi pushing on it, it's allowed tp move. I've fixed 'em by dribbling in some Araldite into the area - seemed to work fine after.

Reluctant":1ki1g4wx said:
It may not look or sound loose with the tyre off, but with a tyre on and 40psi pushing on it, it's allowed tp move.

Ah, that makes sense. When I was investigating my rattle it stopped when I took the tyre and tube off and then reappeared when I put them back on, which made me think I was going crazy!

Back