More 80's. 1988 Team Stumpjumper revamp.

Re: Stumpy

agentorange:4t7cwi9c said:
Forgive me for saying this but your Stumpy looks older than 88. I'd say 86, the seat stays are too straight for an 88.

I agree that it looks older - the latest build is deliberately anachronistic with many parts from the mid 80's (as well as a sprinkling of newer stuff). However the frame is definately from 88.

This what it looked like when I got it (Although with XT throughout: the catalogue shows the optional browning chainset).

1988 (Custom).jpg

I've been contemplating a back to catalogue build, but can't bring myself to do it. It was always a fine riding bike, but pretty soon after getting hold of it, I started to find ways to lighten it.

It's now well below the 24lb mark and really sings.

Last edited:

agentorange":1s5bzpna said:
Forgive me for saying this but your Stumpy looks older than 88. I'd say 86, the seat stays are too straight for an 88.

It is older. 1985 and 1986 had lugged frames, different geometry and new, non-biplane fork. After that they were welded. 1986 was the first year for U-brakes. I'll bet if he checked the S/N it would have 86 in it somewhere. Still, it is a very nice bike. Far nicer than anything I own. Nice job.

cs1":32ofbxm2 said:
agentorange":32ofbxm2 said:

It is older. 1985 and 1986 had lugged frames, different geometry and new, non-biplane fork. After that they were welded. 1986 was the first year for U-brakes. I'll bet if he checked the S/N it would have 86 in it somewhere. Still, it is a very nice bike. Far nicer than anything I own. Nice job.

Kind of what i was looking at but the above catalogue scan looks later. Team Stumpys were specced with XT from 85 onwards and with the U-brake from 87, prior to this it was fitted with Rollercam U-brake. Check my below link for the 88 version which has butted seat stays.

Here's an 86
1986SpecializedStumpJumperOrange21a.JPG

Here's an 87
DSC07739.JPG

My guess is that you're frame is an 86

agentorange":1yjxp20b said:
cs1":1yjxp20b said:
agentorange":1yjxp20b said:

Kind of what i was looking at but the above catalogue scan looks later. Team Stumpys were specced with XT from 85 onwards and with the U-brake from 87, prior to this it was fitted with Rollercam U-brake. Check my below link for the 88 version which has butted seat stays.

Here's an 86
1986SpecializedStumpJumperOrange21a.JPG

Here's an 87
DSC07739.JPG

My guess is that you're frame is an 86
You're top bike looks just like an 1986 Stumpjumper Sport I have sitting in the garage. Well, not exactly. Mine is a lot more beat up.

Ooh controversy. Okay let's try and clear this up.

First off, I know that quoting catalogues and magazines isn't always gospel: manufacturers under commercial pressure may have pictured and promoted bikes that were different to those bought on the street. But I think the secret is to focus on the big differences and then use the details to help.

Second, we're talking Team Stumpjumpers here. The top of the range ones that were made out of Tange Prestige steel. Prestige is light, thin, sweet riding and magnificently pingy; especially when built into large 1980s frames. Here is some ping, Vasili:

88 Team Stumpie

The Stumpjumper 25 Years book has Teams coming out in 1984, which may or my not be true. However, by 1985 they were definitely available.

They were pink; they had a unicrown fork with short sleeves; the frames were lugged. They had shallow road style cable guides. They were fitted with Suntour Roller Cam brakes under the chainstay.

1985 StumpTeam mombat driveside.JPG

1985 StumpTeam mombat head lug.JPG

1985 StumpTeam mombat seat cluster.JPG

For 1986 not much difference; better tyre clearance apparently. Pink lugged Prestige. Note the shallow roadie style cable guides.

This Page for a November 1985 Bicycle Guide review for the 86 model (again thanks to Mombat).

Exerpt from the review:

StumpTeam2.jpg

For 1987 they were built by Dave Tesch in the US. Blue and White. If you have one - I will buy it.

The 1987 catalogue is here

stumpyteam_858.jpg

Magazine review here (Scroll down a bit.)

You have to zoom in on the catalogue, but if my eyes don't deceive, lugs, and narrow cable guides. Also note that the 1987 Stumpjumper Comp was lugged (not Prestige though).

Back to 1988. Made in Japan; grey and white. Lugged Prestige; welded unicrown fork with no lugettes; 'normal' deep slotted cable guides. Serial numbers begin with 8F. Intriguingly, some have an embossed S on the seatstay cap, some raised, some nothing...

Team 1988.jpg

Stump Seatlug sml.JPG

By 1989, the Team Stumpjumper is welded (no lugs); it has a seat stay canti, and 'double taper' seat tays. Still offered in grey and white, still built with Prestige tubes. Not sure whether these were built in Japan or Taiwan.

Catalogue images here

Mine is lugged, built from Prestige tubing, has a welded unicrown fork with no sleeves, and deep slotted cable guides. It was advertised as a 1988 in the classifieds of a 1989 edition of MBUK. The vendor claimed it was the UK press bike. I bought it and it was grey and white with XT throughout.

All the parts on it apart from the bb cable guide have been replaced.

p.s. some XT M730 cantis to the first person to get the Vasili reference.

:cool:

Last edited:
Excellent detective work Doctor-Bond. I had no idea Team bikes were still lugged while production were not. If they were done on a custom basis that does make sense. Thanks for the information. I stand corrected.

This is why I originally thought it was an 86. This is my 1986 with lugs and a U-brake. I didn't notice the OP didn't have the same fork.

IMG_0111.jpg

Back