GNBR (great north bike ride) 28th august 2011

Cheers for the info Alp! Sounds like they let everyone off in a big pack from what you're saying, is that right? At the Cyclone they were sensible enough to release in groups of about 60/70.

I'm doing it with a couple of mates from work. Should be a good one!

Andy

They try to let people out in groups but it still turns into a melee for the first few miles. Not much road space to move in and since they don't stop the traffic after Seahouses, it gets in the way as well.

I have been doing the run for the past 4 yrs now and I have enjoyed every one.

C u up there for some fun, fun, fun :p

Sorry Alp*Willi, couple more questions:

1 - Do you have to wear a helmet? The letter I got with my registration pack says 'No helmet, no ride'. I prefer to go au naturale, but if I have to...

2 - Is it all on road? I can stick my knobbly tires on, but I'd prefer slicks if possible!

Cheers,
Andy

I will keep an eye out for you guys. We are going up to Boulmer to have a look at the old village church that has come up for sale.

Andy

Every year they put in the letter that statement but I've seen plenty of riders without a crash lid. With the numbers riding, i would honestly say that they have no way of policing it.

As to the ride itself, I use semi-slicks on my Dale without any problems. It is all on the road or cyclepaths except for the bit between Alnmouth and Warkworth. That is a hardpack cyclepath that is perfectly rideable without knobblies.

I did my first ride on knobblies and I have to say that the best improvement I made for the next ride was putting on Conti semi-slicks.

Looks like the weather might be favourable as well. Looking fwd to it.

Si

You looking to move into my neighbourhood? Nice little village Boulmer, just round the corner from me in Longhoughton.

Will give u a wave :LOL:

Alp*Willi":114u4vv3 said:
Si

You looking to move into my neighbourhood? Nice little village Boulmer, just round the corner from me in Longhoughton.

Will give u a wave :LOL:

We are staying in Morpeth for now but looking for a holiday home. If you know of anything for sale give me a shout mate.

Back