Need advice : buying a digital camera

computerbitz":va6pto6y said:
Xd picture cards are cheap as chips if you shop round so makes it no big setback and with a decent card reader you got it covered anyway if dont want to use the usb camera to pc connection

Aye its true, just i like to be able to use my memcards between multiple devices, as such SD are just easier.

Between all of my family we've had 4 versions of the Canon Ixus range. Great cameras. I switched to a Fuji E900, really happy with it and much more competitive on price compared with the Canons.

It doesn't answer your question, but its just my thoughts ;)

after Canons, the small Nikons I have used are just a bit user unfriendly, and the good shot/bad shot ratio is much lower - ie exposure/focus/shutter speed wrong etc. And the Nikon flash was like a glowworm. A dead one actually.

Another vote for Fuji from me!
Recently bought an F10 for under a £100 and its excellent. Apparently their sensors are excellent (like its already been said, don't think more mega-pixels is better).
Slightly lacking manual controls but for 95% of the pictures I take it is very very good. Low light and macro is superb for such a cheap little camera.
Let us know what you get
Cheers, Carl

will do - as I say the video element is perhaps the most important for me, as long as stills are reasonable I am happy. So it looks like a better 7mp with good video is what I need. Thanks for advice!

Do all decent compact digi cams have no shutter delay these days?

My 3 year old 5mp Sony Cybershot takes a great picture, but has horrendous shutter delay :(

Tallpaul":1hipsyj7 said:

My 3 year old 5mp Sony Cybershot takes a great picture, but has horrendous shutter delay :(

3 years is a long time ago re: digi cameras. Just replaced my near 10yo 3.2mp olympus Camedia which cost me £400 then! If you have horrendous shutter speed then I guess you probably have answered your own question...most modern cameras are unbelievably good.

I would always have recommended Canon and Nikon in the past and nothing else.

Been a Photographer since way before digital, and used to work in a camera shop too, but I have to say I really rate the current Panasonic range of compact cameras since my dad bought one and I borrowed it for a weekend away.

Again, sorry, not really that bothered about the technicalities behind the video capabilities. (too many 'lities!)

Lots of good advice on here so far, so just go shop around!

Harryburgundy":1g0ha1ze said:
Tallpaul":1g0ha1ze said:

3 years is a long time ago re: digi cameras. Just replaced my near 10yo 3.2mp olympus Camedia which cost me £400 then! If you have horrendous shutter speed then I guess you probably have answered your own question...most modern cameras are unbelievably good.

seems to be an issue on most cannons ive used (old 3.2mp & year old 7.1mp). Nikon are good, I use a 400D SLR at work and its remarkable, but not too pocketable.

Back