MEASURING SUSPENSION TRAVEL

Magazine/Sales Assistants sales talk, too PARTS orientated

Keeping it simple. Magazine/Sales Assistants sales talk, too PARTS orientated, for people who don't who know what PRELOAD, REBOUND & LOCKOUT is OR for.

PRELOAD (Softness/Hardness),
REBOUND (Quickness/Slowness),
LOCKOUT (Minimum suspension Lock Out).

My definition nice and concise.

These days, descriptions in MAGAZINES, and sales talk from bike shop SALES ASSISTANTS barely gloss over the features and benefits of suspension (Obviously you wouldn't want to bore or confuse potential customers too much).

Mostly mag's and sales assistants, go on and on about the PARTS of the bicycle, and what a nice ride it is, excellent value for money, oh yes it is, etc.

As most folks on here are fairly well clued up on most things bike wise your definition is only half a definition and only covers what most users of this forum already know, they may not know about the more modern aspects like high and low speed compression damping, floodgate lock off & how a frame's design affect how the bike performs

May I ask why you want to define the basics of cycling rather than discuss all aspects of cycling in full depth?

Pretty much all of your information is currently available in one form or another on plenty of websites

www.sheldonbrown.com

www.parktool.com

Re: Magazine/Sales Assistants sales talk, too PARTS orientat

srands":2hyi166t said:
Keeping it simple. Magazine/Sales Assistants sales talk, too PARTS orientated, for people who don't who know what PRELOAD, REBOUND & LOCKOUT is OR for.

PRELOAD (Softness/Hardness),
REBOUND (Quickness/Slowness),
LOCKOUT (Minimum suspension Lock Out).

My definition nice and concise.

These days, descriptions in MAGAZINES, and sales talk from bike shop SALES ASSISTANTS barely gloss over the features and benefits of suspension (Obviously you wouldn't want to bore or confuse potential customers too much).

Mostly mag's and sales assistants, go on and on about the PARTS of the bicycle, and what a nice ride it is, excellent value for money, oh yes it is, etc.

You should be on the telly!

Preload is not stiffness/hardness that's probably 'Spring Rate', it is a 'setting' it does not make the spring any harder of softer, it does alter the amount of initial force needed to move the spring. In laymens terms I have no idea. Call it seat height for the fork ?

Stiction, i.e the amount of friction in the sytem from a rest point should be looked at. This can be increased by dirt, dry/no lube wear & tear etc.

Use you method to measure the travel for sag.
Then do the same but push on the suspension and allow it to come up when you are sat in the same sag measurment position. In the ideal world it would come back to the sag position, in the real world it would be a little lower.

Oh right.

Oh right Ben, one person's definition, I'm never happy with, unless I could phrase it better myself, in a concise way, which usually isn't my way!

So this "We're off out on mass 21st August starting at Welton at the moment", is this still happening, if weather still OK?

You know the sort of thing Wolds Way BridleWays, etc.

Re: Oh right.

srands":30if5gza said:
unless I could phrase it better myself, in a concise way, which usually isn't my way!

Not concise?? You ??? I think you may actually be right about something there!

The way that you don't really seem to reply to comments, you more just sprout some other random stuff... it's quite amazing!

Although seriously, nice job on stopping with the random matrix pictures! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back