1988 Marin Pine Mountain

HarryCrumb

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Sorry about the quality, it's the best I could achieve concidering the size and quality of the original picture found in the "Mountain Biking Handbook"

Not many things around about early Marins from 87-88, so I thought I would share this, as you can see the frame had been made using brazed lugged techniques, as they weren't that good at welding thin tubes back then, my Palisades Trail of the same year hasn't got a lugged head tube, so must have had heaver tubes being the cheaper model?

Note the full MT60 Deore 6-speed groupset.

P8181684-1-1.jpg

I have that book. A great read and good to see how things have changed, or not, in the last 25 years. I was trundling around on my grey Raleigh maverick.

Some good ridgeback photos too.

Fantastic bike....restoring one at the moment - Its 16" and has a sloping top tube (dunno why though, I am 6ft 2). Gil_m made some new decals for me so has them on file if anyone needs replacements.

Antstark":1k32shv4 said:
Fantastic bike....restoring one at the moment - Its 16" and has a sloping top tube (dunno why though, I am 6ft 2). Gil_m made some new decals for me so has them on file if anyone needs replacements.

That makes 3 of us then, myself and benandemu are on with restoring a pair also, have you any pics?

Are you re-spraying in the original silver/hint of pink metalic paint?

and also were the decals you had made up the original style transfers, or stickers?

Thanks

Martin

Hey Martin

The aim was to get it resprayed as it is looking very sorry for itself at the moment....will post some 'before' pics shortly. First thought was to send it to Argos but I want an exact colour match....not sure if you guys have found anywhere better to do that ?

The decals are stickers ...but Gill said they will lay flat under a top coat of laquer no problem. The original stem decal was a sticker anyway as was the Joe Murray Norba etc decal

Found a NOS hatta vesta headset recently so just got the pink Tange mtb fork decals to find now - which I am almost giving up on.

Ant

Antstark":hkq16i9o said:
Hey Martin

The aim was to get it resprayed as it is looking very sorry for itself at the moment....will post some 'before' pics shortly. First thought was to send it to Argos but I want an exact colour match....not sure if you guys have found anywhere better to do that ?

The decals are stickers ...but Gill said they will lay flat under a top coat of laquer no problem. The original stem decal was a sticker anyway as was the Joe Murray Norba etc decal

Found a NOS hatta vesta headset recently so just got the pink Tange mtb fork decals to find now - which I am almost giving up on.

Ant

Yes we haven't got that far yet, I have gathered all the MT60 bits and some correct year RM20 rims, looking for a seat post at present, and a saddle. yes i saw someone in the US with Hatta nos headsets for £16.00 plus post on the bay. I think the colour will have to be matched to a good un-faded part of my frame, under the front mech clemp is a good place.

I will speak to Gill regarding decals and have a look, did you get the crimson red matched ok?

I have seen the pick decals come up in the past, My example seems to have very early what look like project two straight forks, also with the hole near the crown (mud guard reflector mount)?? but Ben's has the curved ones with the pick decals?

I may strart a build thread tonight to show the bike in its current state

I am still looking for a seat post and saddle as well...the one on mine was a ladies one lifted from an 88 Muddy Fox...its quite nice but weighs as much as the bike.

I'd say the colour match on the decals is about 99% right...I actually peeled off the stem sticker and sent it to Gil to match in the end.

I have a spare Hatta lock nut (new) if you want it - just PM me your address and i'll send it on.

If you start a thread I'll gladly load up pics of where I am up to as well

:D

Back