British lingo

Wenglish

Things start to get complicated when you move to South Wales. The local Wenglish grammar is sometimes hard to understand.
My favourite so far:-
'Whos coat is this jacket?' :LOL: :LOL:

Hilts":1695uab2 said:
You say tomato,

I say tomatoe...

Surey YOU say:

eh eh calm down calm down, bloody AC Milan (unless you're a toffee), spent all me Giro on that trip to that there Athens, now I can't afford the leccy bill ;)

:D :LOL: All the good people i know/known from that part of the Kingdom speak better English than we. I'm now 'proper Landon now gov' Apples an Pairs' :LOL:

Here's an oxymoron for yez, how comes there's an american band called Pavement? Shurely some mistake lol, shouldn't it be Sidewalk? Hmm just a thought.. :roll:

They probably thought it sounded all 'european' and cool. :LOL:

That's septics for ya. Divided by a common language.

In the sense of 'physical condition.' Usually in the phrase 'in the nick,' sometimes 'in good nick,' meaning 'in the pink.'"

In the pink signifies a state of well being; good health. The pink here has nothing to do with colour, rather with the same source as pinking scissors. They are both based on the old English pynca meaning "point", hence "peak" or "apex". Shakespeare in Romeo and Juliet (II, iv) speaks of "the pink of courtesy".

Makes me chuckle when 'oh i fell on my fanny' is said,uk 'fanny' is around the front,lol

Our old Cannondale Rep, A girl from the USA, at an is-shop demo for customers, unfortunately in the space of one evening used the terms 'Wanking on the handlebars' !!!! - pulling hard on something I presume, and the term 'A good kick in the fanny!".

Women, know your limits!

Whit aboot us up ere? them orair ?nem doon ther?

:D
Saying beaver to our American cousins usually sends them into fits of schoolboy laugher :?

Back