Can an aluminium frame be repaired?

ramstein-dh

Retro Guru
Right i have an gt dhi frame , which was sold to me but the guy did not tell me it had dents and a hairline crack in it.
These were notourious for this.
Just wondering if i can have the crack welded , or will this aneal the surrounding material.
Also will it need to be heat treated?

Thanks for the advice

Jay

Alu welding

When my Cannondale aluminium hardtail cracked on the seat tube, I asked a local aluminium/steel fabricator if they could weld it up, and they did it neatly, think they wanted it for a morning or afternoon and £20.

The local business I asked made alu door/window frames for UPVC door & window businesses.

I just looked up ALUMINIUM FABRICATORS in the local YELLOW PAGES, then went in person to speak to them & show them what I wanted doing.

I've got a DHi that cracked most of the way round part of the tube above the idrive, i had it welded at work 2 years ago and it's been fine since.

squiffy":82kir8bw said:
I've got a DHi that cracked most of the way round part of the tube above the idrive, i had it welded at work 2 years ago and it's been fine since.

Splendid , how bad was your crack?
Reason i ask is that i can't tell if it is a crack or not , it is a black line
at the bottom of the weld.
I may get it welded just in case.
Just out of interest how much was it to be repaired?
Also have you any spare to sell for this frame?

Mine was just a line at the bottom of the weld, when i cleaned the paint back there was a definate crack which i drilled a hole at either end of then got the fab shop at work to tig up.
I might have some spares what are you after?

squiffy":3s91c4kf said:
Mine was just a line at the bottom of the weld, when i cleaned the paint back there was a definate crack which i drilled a hole at either end of then got the fab shop at work to tig up.
I might have some spares what are you after?

Yeah i have removed the paint and i can't tell.
But as these were know for cracking in that are i may aswell get it welded.

Spares wise any to be honest buddy

Latest posts

Back